Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Announcing the Parts Express Speaker Design Team call

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Well, we have posts ranging from self-righteous to paranoid to angry to condescending. Amazing.
    Discussing Intellectual Property tends to do that to people.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Well, we have posts ranging from self-righteous to paranoid to angry to condescending. Amazing.
      Yah, truly amazing responses.
      PE will buy the drivers for my next build and feature me in a catalog?
      sign me up!

I'm an amateur - I love what I do, it's a hobby, relieves the stress from my day job.
      Anything else is gravy.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I decided to apply - looks like a nice way to not go as broke while playing in my favorite hobby.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          Yes and no. My Armonicos have been replicated 6 times that I know of, one silly enough to use pvc as I did. None of those are members of this forum. That's not a huge number and I don't consider myself to be a top tier but I'm certainly not at the bottom either. I do believe, from my own experience, that guys in the "2nd tier" can and do build systems that rival and sometimes best the top. Don't sell them short.
          That was my point from earlier. I think this is great opportunity for a lot of you guys who have made some nice sounding speakers but aren't getting much name recognition. I think you should go for it.
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Already have my application in Jeff. Thanks!
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I decided to apply - looks like a nice way to not go as broke while playing in my favorite hobby.
              I'm reconsidering. However, they'll probably get 300 applicants. You and I may not make the cut. You know what happens when we assume.

Comment

• Re: The poor recording artist

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                Not exactly - performers get per unit compensation. They parlay exposure/publicity into touring engagements, and if they wrote the music - publishing royalties etc. If really lucky - the tune is used in a movie soundtrack and the reward is substantial.
                Careful, I think you're making his point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                  I'm reconsidering. However, they'll probably get 300 applicants. You and I may not make the cut. You know what happens when we assume.
                  Nothing ventured, as the saying goes
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I want to apologize any contribution towards the controversy I had. I think kits and shared designs are great and I have learned a ton by reading about them a building a few. I prefer open source stuff but respect to desire of people to keep their crossover designs proprietary if they wish. There is usually enough info given to design a knock off if you don't want to buy a kit. It gives you a good starting point for your own design if want to try something that stands a good chance at success. It is delightful irony that people will do at there own expense what PE is offering to help fund, including driving (or flying) several hundred miles and spending money to showcase their speaker design. And maybe to get free drivers as a door prize.

Is this turning into a case of "I would never join a club that would have me as a member"?

Comment

Many probably expected the range (and types) of opinions expressed. Hopefully PE did too and are prepared to filter through it without killing the concept.

People around here with the time, interest and (to whatever extent) skills for it shouldn't have it destroyed by those not interested, regardless why they're not.

For those serious about it this could give them a real goal to hone their skills, elevating what they're capable of.

It seems like that would feed directly back into the DIY community, helping everyone.

So to those who think you have what it takes - go for it!
                      Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                      All PR(s) Vd must at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). If all PR(s) Vd at-least double all woofer(s) Vd they'll work.
                      For woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax will work.
                      A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                      PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

For some reason, this scene from the insanely brilliant "Putney Swope" comes to mind:

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I think this is a fantastic idea and a great opportunity for whoever applies. I'm still struggling to wrap my mind around how someone could find fault in PE basically saying, "Hey, we're willing to give you free stuff to do what you're already paying to do anyhow". And if I'm understanding this correctly, this is a one year thing for the group that gets selected, so there will be opportunities for others to take part later down the road as well. That said, I don't think my crossover design skills are up to this, but maybe next year.
                          "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                          "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            Careful, I think you're making his point.
                            haha - merely trying to point out a poor starving artist misconception.
                            I figure grown men are smart enough to NOT gore their own ox when it comes to making speaker building decisions; this is not exactly the payola of the 50's.
                            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                              haha - merely trying to point out a flaw in his poor starving artist analogy.
                              I figure grown men are smart enough not to gore their own ox when it comes to making speaker building decisions, This is not exactly the payola of the 50's.
                              That's just it, his analogy was to point out that in the music industry it doesn't work as he described, the artist has a much better deal.

I think signing up for PE's offer is simply a matter of whether this offer, and its terms, are of interest to an individual, and sounds like something they would like to do. For some people it may not fit their goals and their schedule, and that's fine too. I really don't think it requires any debate.

Comment

ohh - I just thought he was fabricating a fantasy
                                FTR - I'm all for the concept though I'm not qualified.
                                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X