Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Announcing the Parts Express Speaker Design Team call

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    Are those actual full builds Jeff? If so, you are a madman lol! To be able to conceptualize, design, build, test, tweak etc 4 full builds per year is possible but won't be easy by any means.
    I agree with Chuck. There's no way for me to concept/design/prototype/then build four in a year. One is doable, two is pushing it, three and I'd lose my job, four and I'd lose Cheryle! ;)

Marty

Comment

Well it's only open to U.S. citizens so I'm out of the picture. However I do agree that I would struggle to complete a project every 3mo purchased, designed, built and published. Putting a required throughput on the hobby makes it look a lot more like a job to me. Personally I'd want PE at the very least to purchase the parts for the builds.
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by GingerRohlfs View Post
        I can help answer some of your questions and/or address your concerns:

The entry project is just for the application. We are requesting that team members provide 1 project per 90 days, and of course they are open to provide more should they choose to. (Everyone works at different paces) They will be awarded a store credit for each completed project in addition to an initial start-up stipend and a monthly stipend to purchase products for their projects. It's not a set specific number of hours and projects can be a variety of scales and/or sizes. Our goal is to be flexible with team members and supportive of speaker building in general.

In terms of publishing other designs, that is up to the individual designer, but obviously we would not want a conflict of interest with a direct competitor. It would not be good for either party, (the competitor nor Parts Express), but if a Team Member is doing a project for an editorial piece, they are not obligated to use PE if it's not tied to Parts Express.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Ginger
        I have questions about the costs involved. I can easily crank out some designs if PE is picking up the tab for drivers, and/or letting me return them after 6 months or so. I build ugly boxes, but enjoy doing x-overs. I like the RS drivers, or similar performing drivers from other manufacturers. I throw a new baffle on a box, and over half the work is done. For example, I could swap out my 831735 Peerless HDS woofers with the two or three other HDS drivers that will drop right into the same box. Morel tweeters might fit, if not, I'd simply modify the box. Or PE could supply some prefinished boxes maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          . The quantity isn't that big of a deal either. I have completed eight full designs since March. So, it's not too hard.
          Jeff,I think I'm in the same boat as you on this that sometimes I look back and realize "wow that was a lot of designs I just churned out in a short period of time!" But more often than not, someone else is doing the woodworking (and keeping the finished result at their house). Doing a full-blown start-to-finish (yes, literally finished, not bare plywood) pair every 90 days would probably get pretty exhausting.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I'm fairly sure that I don't have the chops for this, but if I were to be chosen, would all work have to be my own, or could I be an idea man, and farm out the enclosures or crossovers (a la Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell), and divvy up the spoils amongst a group? And how do the finished designs arrive at PE? Are you providing for packing and shipping, or is that on the designer as well? OR, would a fleshed out concept make the cut, even if not actually built and shipped?

Mark
            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Hey, if PE supplied the cabs, it'll be easy to crank out one pair every 90 days...
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

From what Paul C. and Mark say, wouldn't a group effort give a good spread to what gets used, and created in the end? Not that individuals won't make a project to showcase, but why not mix up ideas to see what comes from that?
                Like one of those chef shows where you get ingredients and do the best with what you have.
                You get these to start
                http://www.parts-express.com/10-squa...white--290-910
                http://www.parts-express.com/faitalp...-ohm--294-1104
                http://www.parts-express.com/tymphan...-ohm--264-1381
                Build!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                  Jeff,I think I'm in the same boat as you on this that sometimes I look back and realize "wow that was a lot of designs I just churned out in a short period of time!" But more often than not, someone else is doing the woodworking (and keeping the finished result at their house). Doing a full-blown start-to-finish (yes, literally finished, not bare plywood) pair every 90 days would probably get pretty exhausting.
                  Yeah Paul, you're right. In all fairness I only did the cabinets on one of those eight designs. On the others I took all of the measurements and designed the crossovers and voiced them.

I don't speak for anyone else, but I do not plan to submit my name for this team. I think I prefer to maintain some autonomy in my design work. Plus I seem to be pretty busy already. I think I will just continue to do what I have been doing.
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Not that I have the chops to be chosen as one of the elite 10 but even if I did count me out. One of my favorite things about DIY speaker design and building is that I get to choose what I'm going to design and build, what my deadlines are (or aren't), and what designs I feel like sharing or when I feel like helping others out. Anything beyond that makes it more like a job than a hobby. The lure of free parts is certainly inticing... but the flipside for me greatly out weighs that. It reminds me of when I mistakenly started to build race engines and transmissions for other people's cars for money. Took all the fun out of my hobby.
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

That's way too much work for a year, and I've been there done that with another company. It's more like a second job I just don't have time for. Before I had a daughter, I might have said yes. I was cranking off between 4-6 designs a year, and that was a lot of work. I know I can't swing it now.
                      I'm out,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

We just ask if it's a Parts Express project, that no more than 25% be non-PE products. We realize we cannot always carry everything that someone might be wanting to use.
                        You are not looking for the designs to form a PE kit? Or perhaps some as designs + kits and the rest as just designs?

Comment

I don't have any illusions that I am or would be one of the top ten designers, but I'd agree
                          with many other postings that 2 or 3 designs per year is about my limit. More than that,
                          and it won't feel like a hobby. Remember, the root of amateur means someone who
                          loves what they do.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

We just ask if it's a Parts Express project, that no more than 25% be non-PE products. We realize we cannot always carry everything that someone might be wanting to use. Hope that helps!
                            Is that by parts count? or $ spent? It's important to know.
                            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                              ... but I'd agree with many other postings that 2 or 3 designs per year...
                              In my best days, never got near that :o
                              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I'm retired and have lots of time to build speakers, but I usually do only one new design a year. I could probably do two, however, but doing four a year would feel more like a job than a hobby and take much of the fun out of it. Of course I model lots of TLs for others which is sort of like doing multiple designs. While I do all of the woodworking myself, I farm out crossover designs to others, but I don't really do "complete" designs on my own. So, I don't think I'm interested or qualified.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X