Announcing the Parts Express Speaker Design Team call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Announcing the Parts Express Speaker Design Team call

I always thought that this was a good concept. I've commissioned a few designs, so I think I have some insight to at least one designers thought process. I just thought PE needed to be more specific on what their expectations are for people to earn that stipend.

I think DLR's idea of just providing the stipend on a per-project basis, provides better flexibility. Since I'm not applying, I'm not going to participate in the ******* and moaning. I figure people who apply and are selected can work out their own deals with PE.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
    CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
      I always thought that this was a good concept. I've commissioned a few designs, so I think I have some insight to at least one designers thought process. I just thought PE needed to be more specific on what their expectations are for people to earn that stipend.

I think DLR's idea of just providing the stipend on a per-project basis, provides better flexibility. Since I'm not applying, I'm not going to participate in the ******* and moaning. I figure people who apply and are selected can work out their own deals with PE.
      Hey, that was my idea.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I might apply. Would anyone object to that since I already have a speaker business?

Comment

^ don't see why, and if someone did I'd consider it their problem, not yours.
          Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
          All PR(s) Vd must at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). If all PR(s) Vd at-least double all woofer(s) Vd they'll work.
          For woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax will work.
          A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
          PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
            ...Would anyone object ...
            No.
            Go for it!
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I might apply. Would anyone object to that since I already have a speaker business?
              I would have no problem. Parts Express is looking for showcase and designs for a flyer to boost sales of those components. So, why not?
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                In evaluating the design team concept, I think a lot of you are overvaluing your position as hobbyist designers. Financially, you don't really have any skin in the game and most of you probably don't want any. The only reason speaker designs have value is if someone else is willing to pick up the ball and do the heavy lifting in areas such as

1. Marketing
                2. Inventory/vendor management
                3. Order fulfillment
                You forgot warranty repairs. Through education and experience I know how to not melt speakers. There are an awful lot of people that don't know. They think it's perfectly reasonable to turn the volume all the way up for their all night party. When the tweeters quit they expect you to replace them.

Ron
                C-Note Iron Driver Build
                The Lydias
                The Cherry π's
                The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Looks like if someone comes up with a design that PE gets a one year ownership of that work.
                  I can see where all the folks who openly post what they build should on here put off by working with PE, and be upset with all of the THOUSANDS of dollars PE is going to rake in with the work done by others like they do now. *sarcasm*

PE appears to be trying to keep interest in DIY, while not ending up like Radio Shack.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
                    Here is where things get a bit fuzzy for me.

Lets pretend the Overnight Sensations were a design turned in by this team. Cheap, small, sounds good, and VERY marketable to beginners. PE loves the design, turns it into a kit and boom, they start flying off the shelves. They begin selling by the thousands, and the cash is just rollin' in.

Now, the desinger still has the physical first pair of speakers, and thats great. They have a small reward, paid for by PE, for their hard work. However PE has the rights to the actual design work. So all of the money generated by this new speaker belongs to PE. The designer has already been compensated for their work, so as the kits just keep flying off the shelves PE just bankrolls, with the design costing them a one time "cost of wholesale parts."

Is this correct? Gosh I sure hope not.
                    If you're a professional and expect to be compensated, this deal is not for you - pay your own way and benefit from your efforts.

I congratulate PE and regret the nature of many of these "inquisitions" as to their motive.

Our response to the offer should be either, yes thank you or no thank you. Thank you nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by UnfitNitwit View Post
                      Looks like if someone comes up with a design that PE gets a one year ownership of that work.
                      I can see where all the folks who openly post what they build should on here put off by working with PE, and be upset with all of the THOUSANDS of dollars PE is going to rake in with the work done by others like they do now. *sarcasm*

PE appears to be trying to keep interest in DIY, while not ending up like Radio Shack.
                      How much do you reckon PE has made from the Overnight Sensations? How about the TriTrix?

Thousands.

I am going to speculate that PE tried something of the same as compensation for those designs. A one time payment or a few hundred PE bucks. When they realized the kits were going to sell like crazy, do you think they tracked down those designers to offer the royalties? Probably not.

Believe what you wanna believe, Im gonna do the same. I am going to continue to give PE my business, as I have for a few years now. Just trying to make a point that this isnt being done to help YOU, so while you may benefit ever so slightly, the primary beneficiary of this venture is PE, and thats all Im saying. Just consider what your own time is actually worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        I would have no problem. Parts Express is looking for showcase and designs for a flyer to boost sales of those components. So, why not?
                        Ok - I decided to go for it. My proposal included doing some line arrays. Whatever happens is fine with me - it's a good way for me to give back to the DIY community.

Comment

...My proposal included doing some line arrays. ...
                          Great - one of the primary reasons for my interest in the PE forum is advanced concepts - such as phased arrays.
                          Initiated when PE began offering a C.B.T. kit.
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
                            How much do you reckon PE has made from the Overnight Sensations? How about the TriTrix?

Thousands.

I am going to speculate that PE tried something of the same as compensation for those designs. A one time payment or a few hundred PE bucks. When they realized the kits were going to sell like crazy, do you think they tracked down those designers to offer the royalties? Probably not.

Believe what you wanna believe, Im gonna do the same. I am going to continue to give PE my business, as I have for a few years now. Just trying to make a point that this isnt being done to help YOU, so while you may benefit ever so slightly, the primary beneficiary of this venture is PE, and thats all Im saying. Just consider what your own time is actually worth.
                            Dustin, I don't think anyone is saying that PE is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and don't plan to make any money off of it. But you are making it out WAAAAAY more sinister than reality. This arrangement still benefits you. If (I don't know if they did or not) PE paid the designers for the OS kit and TriTrix kit some money to use the design, the designers come out better than if they hadn't. Sure, PE is making money, but if the designers said no and took no payment, they still aren't getting anything out of that design. The design was public and the designers don't stock the parts or sell the plans. Where do you think people are buying those parts? PE is still going to make money off those designs. Maybe not as much as if it came in a nice little kit, but nothing is stopping them from selling the parts to someone in a non-kit.

From what I understand, Meniscus has paid nothing to any designers for the kits listed on their website. What does that make them? PE is offering to give you something, not nothing. Of course they are a company and they are trying to make money. Do you think that nothing in the business world can be mutually beneficial? That the only arrangements are one sided so that one business wins and the other business/person loses?

People are posting their designs for free right now!
                            They get nothing for those designs. Why is this arrangement negative? How does it benefit you more personally to not agree to this arrangement? PE is planning to pay you for something that almost everyone here is doing for free already.
                            -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                              This scenario plays out every day in the real world of industry. An engineer invents something and is awarded a stipend whilst his employer goes on to produce the item and sells millions of it. Only, in this case, as Ginger has pointed out, designer/builders will not be employees of PE.
                              While not exactly related, this post made me think that designs that sell more should reward the designer more, so why not offer PE credit for each unit sold, even just $5 for a simple 2way, and $10 for anything more complex. How about it?

Comment

Because Chevy sells a Corvette to get people into the showroom who end up buying a minivan.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                                CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Working...
                                X