Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Announcing the Parts Express Speaker Design Team call

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    Dustin, I don't think anyone is saying that PE is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and don't plan to make any money off of it. But you are making it out WAAAAAY more sinister than reality. This arrangement still benefits you. If (I don't know if they did or not) PE paid the designers for the OS kit and TriTrix kit some money to use the design, the designers come out better than if they hadn't. Sure, PE is making money, but if the designers said no and took no payment, they still aren't getting anything out of that design. The design was public and the designers don't stock the parts or sell the plans. Where do you think people are buying those parts? PE is still going to make money off those designs. Maybe not as much as if it came in a nice little kit, but nothing is stopping them from selling the parts to someone in a non-kit.

From what I understand, Meniscus has paid nothing to any designers for the kits listed on their website. What does that make them? PE is offering to give you something, not nothing. Of course they are a company and they are trying to make money. Do you think that nothing in the business world can be mutually beneficial? That the only arrangements are one sided so that one business wins and the other business/person loses?

People are posting their designs for free right now!
    They get nothing for those designs. Why is this arrangement negative? How does it benefit you more personally to not agree to this arrangement?
    A record producer calls you up. He tells you that he likes your band, and he will buy you guys new intruments, and pay for your recording sessions, but when it's done, and it hits the stores and goes triple platinum, thats all his, because youve already been compensated for your time and effort.

If nobody joined this team, then PE would have to continue to do things the way they have to now. You would have to pay for your design, sure, but if PE liked it they would approach you, and a deal would likely be worked out that would pay X amount of dollars per kit sold. Now, over time this amount is going to exceed the compensation this deal is offering. Now see, we arent talking about a company formed and operated by three buddies in a garage. This isnt a company that knows you by name when you call, or throws you freebies because they have extra stuff lying around. This is a company that generates millions in revenue. So no, not "sinister" just "insufficient."

Comment

• The poor recording artist

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
      A record producer calls you up. He tells you that he likes your band, and he will buy you guys new intruments, and pay for your recording sessions, but when it's done, and it hits the stores and goes triple platinum, thats all his, because youve already been compensated for your time and effort. ...
      Not exactly - performers get per unit compensation. They parlay exposure/publicity into touring engagements, and if they wrote the music - publishing royalties etc. If really lucky - the tune is used in a movie soundtrack and the reward is substantial.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

IMHO, I don't think any of the team's designs will sell well being that most of the top tier designers/DIY'rs have bowed out. Those 2nd and 3rd tier DIY'rs have basically little or no street creds, so who, thumbing thru a P.E. flyer is going to risk buying and building one of their 'unproven' designs.I just don't see much evidence now of somebody having created a thread here raving about building a 2nd or 3rd tier design that was posted for free. OTOH, there are many posts from DIY'rs asking ? about Bagby's, Campbell's, Wolf's and other's designs. It's all about the street creds and/or word of mouth from those who've heard 'the best' at gatherings like MWAF or similar shows.
        Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

How much do you reckon PE has made from the Overnight Sensations? How about the TriTrix?

Thousands.

I am going to speculate that PE tried something of the same as compensation for those designs. A one time payment or a few hundred PE bucks. When they realized the kits were going to sell like crazy, do you think they tracked down those designers to offer the royalties? Probably not.

Believe what you wanna believe, Im gonna do the same. I am going to continue to give PE my business, as I have for a few years now. Just trying to make a point that this isnt being done to help YOU, so while you may benefit ever so slightly, the primary beneficiary of this venture is PE, and thats all Im saying. Just consider what your own time is actually worth.
          No $hit sherlock. PE is a business last time i checked. Not a charity. Take off your tinfoil hat and see the Forrest for the trees. They're not out to pimp out some budding designers but are funding a mutual partnership. What is the name of your company by the way?

Comment

Well, we have posts ranging from self-righteous to paranoid to angry to condescending. Amazing.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
              IMHO, I don't think any of the team's designs will sell well being that most of the top tier designers/DIY'rs have bowed out. Those 2nd and 3rd tier DIY'rs have basically little or no street creds, so who, thumbing thru a P.E. flyer is going to risk buying and building one of their 'unproven' designs.I just don't see much evidence now of somebody having created a thread here raving about building a 2nd or 3rd tier design that was posted for free. OTOH, there are many posts from DIY'rs asking ? about Bagby's, Campbell's, Wolf's and other's designs. It's all about the street creds and/or word of mouth from those who've heard 'the best' at gatherings like MWAF or similar shows.
              Unfortunately you're way off base. The uninformed masses spend buku bucks at PE for anything they see in print or online that is actually published. Go read the reviews to some projects. Many people buy and emulate many of the even more aweful projects. Not a fault of PE to let a consumer spend their own money as they see fit. The DIY world is much bigger than what you see here on the forum. Google DIY speaker and be amazed at some of the god aweful projects that people are very proud of and that get copied dozens of times.

Comment

I am even familiar with well known commercial speakers that adored and cherished by audiophiles and are simply mediocre. :D

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Well, we have posts ranging from self-righteous to paranoid to angry to condescending. Amazing.
                yep.................................
                http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

ROFL.

I generally only stand up for the small guy but this day in age, a company as accomomodating and customer oriented as PE gets my support.

Comment

It's starting to sound like some of the arguments at diyaudio, they fight alot.
                    sounds like the 1%'ers.

Comment

A record producer calls you up. He tells you that he likes your band, and he will buy you guys new intruments, and pay for your recording sessions, but when it's done, and it hits the stores and goes triple platinum, thats all his, because youve already been compensated for your time and effort.

If nobody joined this team, then PE would have to continue to do things the way they have to now. You would have to pay for your design, sure, but if PE liked it they would approach you, and a deal would likely be worked out that would pay X amount of dollars per kit sold. Now, over time this amount is going to exceed the compensation this deal is offering. Now see, we arent talking about a company formed and operated by three buddies in a garage. This isnt a company that knows you by name when you call, or throws you freebies because they have extra stuff lying around. This is a company that generates millions in revenue. So no, not "sinister" just "insufficient."
                      I was in the middle of typing a long reply but... :rolleyes:
                      -Kerry

Comment

Dustin, thank you for voicing your opinion. We get it though, there's no need to re-hash your opinion over and over again.
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Well I think the Mods should delete most of these posts and clean up this thread as the intention of the thread is to invite people to sign up for the challenge and not to receive critique on the idea, how to handle intellectual property rights, or question the ethics of business practice. If this isn't your calling then move along. No need to express your disinterest or criticism to make it fit your agenda. Sorry, this post is no better either, but it's a real disappointment to read some of the comments from members that I respect and admire in this community.

Comment

I think the summer heat is getting to a few of you guys.

I didn't have a problem with the rules but if you do you're not being forced to participate. I sold a kit via Madisound a few years back and received a small percentage of each sale. I assure you nobody is getting rich from kit sales, whether it's the designer or distributor as it's a fairly small market. I think everybody will benefit from this. Remember it's a hobby - something to enjoy - not to continually fight over.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                              No $hit sherlock. PE is a business last time i checked. Not a charity. Take off your tinfoil hat and see the Forrest for the trees. They're not out to pimp out some budding designers but are funding a mutual partnership. What is the name of your company by the way?
                              Deliberately ******* someone off generally isnt my MO, but youre making it fun.

NavyGuy, I am sending you a PM.

As for this post, Im over it. I obviously dont know what Im talking about.

Thanks but no thanks, PE.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                                Yes and no. My Armonicos have been replicated 6 times that I know of, one silly enough to use pvc as I did. None of those are members of this forum. That's not a huge number and I don't consider myself to be a top tier but I'm certainly not at the bottom either. I do believe, from my own experience, that guys in the "2nd tier" can and do build systems that rival and sometimes best the top. Don't sell them short.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Working...
                                X