A small DIY LM3886 Chip Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A small DIY LM3886 Chip Amplifier

I bought a $7 Y148 chip amp a couple of years back and was surprised how good it sounded!

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
      Thanks Don. I like beefy PSU's and heat sinks. I see so many of the gainclones with really flimsy heat sinks. Some with just a strip of AL. I just don't get it. I want my amps to survive the nuclear holocaust....
      I'd read a few reports of some GC builders who had amps that ran hot at idle, so I used some big heatsinks on mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010472-smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1167129

Figured out later that the output "Zobel" was a LP at about 40 KHz, and prevented ultrasonic oscillation.
      Some guys thought that they didn't need it....

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        I'd read a few reports of some GC builders who had amps that ran hot at idle, so I used some big heatsinks on mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58303[/ATTACH]

Figured out later that the output "Zobel" was a LP at about 40 KHz, and prevented ultrasonic oscillation.
        Some guys thought that they didn't need it....
        Yes... Too many of the so-called "gainclone" designs have followed the minimalist path taken by Kimura-San in his design of the 47 Laboratory Gaincard, which was little more than LM3875 in a minimalist design that eschewed useful protection circuits.
        "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
        of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
        - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
        A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
        (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Working...
        X