Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon/Rohacell drivers from SB Acoustics-more!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcibel
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post
    For us uniformed consumers, what is Rohacell?
    I'm sure even an uninformed consumer knows about google. ;)

The cones that SB is using look a lot different than the CF/rohacell that you get on a Morel driver. SB looks to have used just foam backed carbon fibre, and without the shiny lacquer finish. So its more of an open face sandwich. ;)

Morel uses 2 layers, the front layer is woven, and the back layer is loose fibre more like paper, then has a lacquer finish that from what I've seen doesn't cover everything as there's always some carbon fibre poking through the sheen, but it does effectively fill the voids between the weave.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    For us uniformed consumers, what is Rohacell?

Leave a comment:

• olu78
    replied
    After a long wait, the SB17CRC35-04's and 08's are available at Madisound! Listed at $94.00/each, they are intriguing drivers.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied
    Re: Carbon/Rohacell drivers from SB Acoustics-more!!

The idea of new drivers like these sounds amazing to me. I want to get excited! Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but do you mind sharing how you came about this information?

Leave a comment:

• ErinH
    replied

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
    I've had very polite and useful responses from ScanSpeak.
    ditto. I've actually had an engineer reply to me when I asked a question regarding some measurements I obtained and posted to my site. he replied with technical information regarding the design.

Leave a comment:

• Pallas
    replied

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    Another good thing about SB is that the company actually communicates in a polite way with the end user, if you email them with questions. Same with SEAS. Not the same with Scanspeak, unless you are buying 300 units
    I've had very polite and useful responses from ScanSpeak.

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied

Another good thing about SB is that the company actually communicates in a polite way with the end user, if you email them with questions. Same with SEAS. Not the same with Scanspeak, unless you are buying 300 units

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Originally posted by timw View Post
    Is it the Eton cones or the motors you don't like?
    My experience is with the older 8"Hexacone that had a fairly bad cone resonance, no shorting rings, fairly low Qms, no vented pole piece, or venting under the spider, and a limited Xmax. The new ones address some of these issues but cost a fortune and still have poorer performance the many less expensive drivers. I really think the SB Acoustics are amazing values for the money. I hope this continues with the new cone materials. My experience is they have great dynamics including good resolution of quiet sounds.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    I am just giving you a hard time and I love your Scan Speak two ways. I have one of those woofers I got with a bad surround that I fixed. I am not read to give up on paper as there are many paper drivers from Viva and SB Acoustics that are drop dread good. I think there are some very good non paper drivers like the Scan Speak damped fiberglass Discovery series cones. I have heard several composite cones that I don't like, some of the Etons come to mind. Also my pockets are only so deep.
    I knew you were. I am with you on the paper, good mids and paper go well together. today there are great sounding drivers made from all types of materials. the depth of ones pockets is always the final issues. waiting to hit the lottery.

Leave a comment:

• timw
    replied

..... I have heard several composite cones that I don't like, some of the Etons come to mind....
    Is it the Eton cones or the motors you don't like?

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

I am just giving you a hard time and I love your Scan Speak two ways. I have one of those woofers I got with a bad surround that I fixed. I am not read to give up on paper as there are many paper drivers from Viva and SB Acoustics that are drop dread good. I think there are some very good non paper drivers like the Scan Speak damped fiberglass Discovery series cones. I have heard several composite cones that I don't like, some of the Etons come to mind. Also my pockets are only so deep.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Yes that must be it... Too bad you are stuck with those mushy Scan Speaks.
    the SS were just my bad luck . there have been some really good Rohacell drivers in the past. the Focal W series is very good.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied

Originally posted by craigk View Post
    Becsuse they are using a superior cone configuration ?
    Yes that must be it... Too bad you are stuck with those mushy Scan Speaks.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

Start saving your pennies. ;)

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Carbon Fiber/Rohacell.... They have gone over to the dark side I fear.
    Becsuse they are using a superior cone configuration ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X