Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux Build - Design Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux Build - Design Questions

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I took a great deal of pleasure in building a pair of Overnight Sensations this past holiday season. I've been searching for a tower project for quite some time now, and finally decided on a dipole design for something different. I've probably read every sunflower redux related thread or page on the internet, so most of the basic stuff I have down.

No offense Paul, but I don't think these are your greatest aesthetic design, so I decided to go ahead and design a pair to my liking. :P I've attached screenshots of my sketchup project. The big question I have is will it work? I've kept the 11' baffle width and kept the dimensions of the upper portion of the speaker, but I've changed the bass cabinet and increased the distance between the mtm and bass woofer.

I really tried hard to get some really good pictures with dimensions labelled on layout, but I seriously can't figure it out. I'll attach some really rough attempts to show you guys I tried. If you zoom in on the pdf's, you should see some measurements that are close. I couldn't select the right points exactly, so that's why they're all funky. As I can't attach a sketchup file here, if you need more dimensions I can measure them for you, or if you PM me your gmail I'll share them on google docs. I just would like to know if this project is feasible the way it is, with my changes to the design. Thanks in advance!!

Pieter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 11.50.00 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1192501Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 11.47.38 AM.png
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1192502Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 11.48.07 AM.png
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1192503Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 11.48.19 AM.png
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1192504Side View.pdf
    Last edited by jpswart12; 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM.

Re: Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux Build - Design Questions

Front baffle.pdf

Comment

Also, if someone could shed some light on how to vent the bass cabinet, I'd be grateful!

Comment

The tweeter should be at seated ear level. You vent the bass cab with a piece of PVC pipe or a plastic port of the correct dimensions, per plans. If you changed the bass cab volume, you will have to refigure the port dimensions, as they will not be the same as in the plans.

Comment

Originally posted by jpswart12 View Post
          Hey everyone, I'm new here. I took a great deal of pleasure in building a pair of Overnight Sensations this past holiday season. I've been searching for a tower project for quite some time now, and finally decided on a dipole design for something different. I've probably read every sunflower redux related thread or page on the internet, so most of the basic stuff I have down.

No offense Paul, but I don't think these are your greatest aesthetic design, so I decided to go ahead and design a pair to my liking. :P I've attached screenshots of my sketchup project. The big question I have is will it work? I've kept the 11' baffle width and kept the dimensions of the upper portion of the speaker, but I've changed the bass cabinet and increased the distance between the mtm and bass woofer.

I really tried hard to get some really good pictures with dimensions labelled on layout, but I seriously can't figure it out. I'll attach some really rough attempts to show you guys I tried. If you zoom in on the pdf's, you should see some measurements that are close. I couldn't select the right points exactly, so that's why they're all funky. As I can't attach a sketchup file here, if you need more dimensions I can measure them for you, or if you PM me your gmail I'll share them on google docs. I just would like to know if this project is feasible the way it is, with my changes to the design. Thanks in advance!!

Pieter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58846[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58849[/ATTACH][ATTACH]58851[/ATTACH]
          This is just a clone of the Mirage OM7. Not a lot you can do with this type of design for looks.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            The tweeter should be at seated ear level. You vent the bass cab with a piece of PVC pipe or a plastic port of the correct dimensions, per plans. If you changed the bass cab volume, you will have to refigure the port dimensions, as they will not be the same as in the plans.
            This is the correct advice.

From what I can tell, your design looks fine. I would recommend keeping the woofer cabinet at ~42 liters internal, that way the vent tuning can stay the same.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
            X