Vifa P21 woofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vifa P21 woofers

Can anyone explain the differences between the Vifa P21wo-10 and P21wo-20?

Re: Vifa P21 woofers

easy:
    P21wo-20
    -P21wo-10

Comment

Originally posted by MGrant1957 View Post
      easy:
      P21wo-20
      -P21wo-10
      Tall Boys
      NRNP Computer Sub
      The Boxers
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

Why do you ask, what are you trying to accomplish?

I don't know the answer, but I believe that the -10 was OEM to Vandersteen and perhaps PSB.

Comment

If they were a buyout of old from madisound the magnet was smaller and one dB less efficient. My memory gets fuzzy going that far back.

Comment

Originally posted by billcurrier View Post
            If they were a buyout of old from madisound the magnet was smaller and one dB less efficient. My memory gets fuzzy going that far back.

Comment

Attached my on axis measure of it, in a JPW AP3 cabinet (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...images/179614/)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                Why do you ask, what are you trying to accomplish?

I don't know the answer, but I believe that the -10 was OEM to Vandersteen and perhaps PSB.
                I have a pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers that need woofers. One of the cabinets had a P21wo-10-08 woofers, which is not the right driver as the frame is too big to fit in the hole. I have seen the 20 and 33 and wanted to see if they were the same driver with a different number because of who sold it.

Comment

I may just sell them as is since I found another pair locally and don't really need another project at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
                    I have a pair of Vandersteen 2C speakers that need woofers. One of the cabinets had a P21wo-10-08 woofers, which is not the right driver as the frame is too big to fit in the hole. I have seen the 20 and 33 and wanted to see if they were the same driver with a different number because of who sold it.
                    Are they 2C's without a suffix? I think those had a US stamped frame driver with a clear cone
                    and a foam edge. Are you sure that they are straight 2C's without any suffix?

Interesting, I reverse engineered the Vandersteen 2Ci and it used a Vifa woofer built on
                    the same frame as the -20 but with a slightly wider edge - by about 1/16", not much.
                    I did an approximate clone of them, with a few variations, and the -20 worked fine in
                    them, the Vandersteen version would give a bit more excursion but not by much. I measured
                    the Vandersteen version of the woofer but I'd have to really dig to find those numbers.
                    Do your's have a suffix? The letter designation is in the very small print at the bottom
                    of the input plate.
                    Do your's have the midrange with a plastic cone and edge of the same material? It is a Peerless.

I know of one report of the P21wo-10 being used in the Vandersteen model 1.

Comment

I was not 20 mi. from Mechanicsburg (I-76) a week or two ago.

P21WO-10-08: Qts 0.29, Vas 5.2cf, Fs 25, Re 5.8, 91dB, Sd 36.4 sq.in.
                      P21WO-20-08: Qts 0.33, Vas 4.0cf, Fs 28, Re 5.7, 91dB, same Sd (and cone dia.)
                      Should have nearly identical performance in a vented 2cf box (upper 30s).
                      The -20 was rated 80wRMS, the -10 was 70w.

Comment

Working...
                      X