Coming in 2016: Excelsior Passive Four Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming in 2016: Excelsior Passive Four Way

Ok, so I am lining up my builds for 2016. This is purely in design stage, but as a "performance unlimited" kind of vision without "unlimited cost". Here is the design so far, as I sketched up in DrawPlus:

The tweeter is the venerable XT25BG60, double magnet version for added sensitivity (which I will need).
    The two mids are Zaph's ZA14W08, well know high performance midrange that I've yet to use. It also sticks to the silver cone style of the MCMs.
    The four midwoofers are MCM 55-2669, great cone great midbass. Should knock it out in this zone and rock the room well.
    The four woofers are 4 ohm DIY Sound Group Anarchys, which well, yea. Nice.

The four Anarchys are capable of linear output of 118db at 1M down to 30 hz with 500 watts input. Just consider that. Consider it.

My estimates show a voltage sensitivity for the Anarchys of just under 94db @1M, and I'll guess that'll set total system voltage sensitivity at about 89db or so after baffle compensation. That seems like a nice place to be. My Europower 2500 can push clean 600 watts into a 4 ohm load, so I imagine reaching the limit is actually possible (though it would never happen) in my home setting.

The box is where it will get interesting. 6 feet tall, 9" wide, 12" deep. Modular. Bottom box 33" tall, same as top box. Tweeter box in between 6" tall. Not sure how it will lock together yet, and it will need a stand system to be stable I am sure.

Its coming together. Be afraid, be very afraid.
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Re: Coming in 2016: Excelsior Passive Four Way

With 2 of those woofers near the floor I recon you'll be nearer 91dB after BSC.

Designing a crossover for them would drive me insane. I thought a 2-way was bad enough

Comment

I expect the crossover to be a freaking /monster/. Since the transition from the Anarchys to the 2669 will occur about 125hz (best guess without measuring) we are talking massive caps and coils. Should be fun!
      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)

Comment

Why 4 way with the anarchy? Cool tall towers
        Also front/back??? Just looking for your design thoughts.

Not asking for rationale.... This looks vaguely insane...:eek:

Comment

Insane? Yes. However I've been mad too long to notice the difference, heh.

The actual project concept started with 4x MCM 55-2669 per side, since they are world class in the midbass region. They don't dig deep though, and they don't do midrange that well. So I needed something on the bottom.

The Anarchys are really for the output maximum and per watt, plus the ability to hit an F3 of 30 hz in this "smallish" box. Yes, I just called six foot towers small. I mentioned insane above, fwiw.

Comment

Oh I missed your front/back question. You packed too many into too little text! The Anarchy are on front and back to help deal with the resonance issues at volume, there is something about equal pressure from both sides I'd like to explore.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about how you're going to measure them? Outside, horizontal on a stepladder is what I was thinking.

Comment

I can actually do gated in my room. The key being they are modular, I don't need to measure them all at once. I can do the bottom module plus tweeter on a stand in the middle of the room. That should get me enough to sim the XO. I tend to do level balance by eye and confirm by measuring in-room anyway.

Comment

Oh I see. I missed the bit where you said they were modular.

Comment

Looking good.... Those anarchys, with their XMAX can take some real power. 4 of them will be able to handle quite a nice SPL

Comment

The midbass is an interesting concept. Dedicated midrange, I heard of, dedicated midbass is nice. How would midrange vs midbass in terms of Frequency coverage be defined.

any other really good midbass drivers???

Comment

Wow, you'll need Ben and his forklift to move these suckers around. Just those Anarchy woofers alone should produce some serious numbers on the Richter scale. Looking forward to seeing your sim.
                        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project
                        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

With all that silver aluminum coneage, you need a bitchin ribbon tweeter!
                          A mains
                          The Ventures
                          Open Invit8tions
                          RSR
                          Sound Troopers
                          Acorns
                          DGBG's
                          The Monuments

Comment

Ambitious project! Glad to see someone doing more then 7" woofer and 1" tweeter.
                            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Ani, I'd call 100 to 300 hz midbass if asked. Not sure what others would call it. There are a lot of good midbass drivers, but few at 19$ each like the MCM in this case.

Hong, the sim is a ways off but I too can't wait to see how it shapes up!

6th, man I said /not/ "cost unlimited". That tends to rule out a lot of ribbons right off the rip.

Roman thanks. I'm excited to work outside the box so to speak. I'm not sure how I'll even sim the 4 way actually, I suppose Xsim should work or I could do two sims in WinPCD.

Comment

Working...
                              X