Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chromecast Audio?

Paul
    I think youll find everything transcodes to 48 khz using bubbleupnp and android, going to an external dac
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/747055/andr...er-integration

Comment

Hold the phone! (wait, wrong phrase) I think I may have found my magic bullet. "Localcast." I can browse the SMB share, press play. Boom!

Ads aplenty, but if the app is good and not crashy, I'll pay.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
        Hold the phone! (wait, wrong phrase) I think I may have found my magic bullet. "Localcast." I can browse the SMB share, press play. Boom!
        i thought that was going to say you got a second-hand rooted nook and dropped a 64gb flash card in and ditched the windows server...

if you put WMP on the server, can't bubbleupnp find it? it did on one of ours.

another reasonably straightforward solution for folks w/o a windows server is to use a raspberry pi with barracuda drive - it's free for pi, and can be limited to local network only. it can support external usb hard drives. not the fastest for bulk file transfers, but plenty fast enough to stream audio and at least one video stream.
        TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Originally posted by DDF View Post
          48 khz only when going through otg cable, if youre ok with that
          The Chromecast Audio doesn't have OTG, by the way. It's just a micro USB for power, 3.5mm miniplug out. (the miniplug jack does have mini-TOS, so that might be interesting to pick up one of those cables down the road, and see if the DAC on my amp sounds any different than the on-board

Click image for larger version

Name:	chromecast-audio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1169772
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

That's the way it goes. :o
            I can't get Bubble to work reliably... 'tho the latest version is much improved since my last go with it.

Since you have Plex server running, why not try their Android app? It does Chromecasting IIR.
            Rather a nice interface, too.

Interesting you should mention that. I did try ES file explorer, and it wanted to play the file. It kept trying its little heart out, but eventually it would say there was an unspecified error, or something like that. My only guess is that the ES Chromecast extension is still only optimized for the old Chromecast, and they haven't done these new models yet.
            ~99%
            Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
            Make me a poster of an old rodeo
            Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
            To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

The Chromecast Audio doesn't have OTG, by the way. It's just a micro USB for power, 3.5mm miniplug out. (the miniplug jack does have mini-TOS, so that might be interesting to pick up one of those cables down the road, and see if the DAC on my amp sounds any different than the on-board

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60983[/ATTACH]
              Ah, sorry, just assumed you were going external DAC. If you try it, please let us know how it works.

I'm using PC/foobar/musicHD or server to dac, with foobar controller over android, but this could free up a laptop if the Toslink is decent, and it can support native bit rate

Comment

I listen to Apple Music. You can use an Android phone to cast Apple Music to Chromecast if you have one. But I don’t. So I convert my Apple Music to local files(mp3) with TunesKit Audio Converter and use USB to cast on Chromecast. It works well.

Comment

• djg
                  djg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great first post.
              Working...
              X