Cigar box 2 x 2" design suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar box 2 x 2" design suggestions

Intro: I'm new to building speakers but I understand the basics like speaker Fs, cabinet resonance, -3dB frequency, etc. I understand the electronics/amplifier side much more thoroughly (EE by trade). I'm not looking to build some living room bookshelfs or anything to that magnitude just yet. My little brother mentioned in passing he liked the way this small desk speaker (VERS 2Q) looked but didn't want to to justify the money. I'd like to build him something similar.

What I know: I have a few quality cigar boxes around the house, all measuring 8" x 5" x 4". I'd like to put two speakers in one box for a small stereo setup. It will have a small metal back panel for power and line-level audio IN. I can easily take care of the power supply and amplifier. My brother doesn't want bluetooth, just line-in.

What I don't know:
    -Wattage. I am going to start with 2x5W base, but if consensus says I need more power I'll do so.
    -Drivers. Any personal recommendations here? Something in the 2-3" range I would assume.
    -T/S parameters. Can I design the cigar box and choose the drivers using WinISD given it's such a small low powered project?
    -Porting/insulation. Would either be beneficial on such a small enclosure?

Any suggestions here would be great. I hope to learn a little about speaker design while building this somewhat trivial project. Thanks!

Re: Cigar box 2 x 2" design suggestions

IMO, 5 watts should be plenty for that design.
    These 3 inch TB full range drivers may work in that size box.
    http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-880
    You should have a divider between the left and right sides in order to give some stereo separation.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Should the divider run the entire depth of the cabinet? Front to rear to essentially turn the cigar box into two smaller enclosures?

I've been playing around with WinISD and here is what I came up with using two of these 2.5" Daytons. I used the volume of my existing cigar box and used 2 ports which at 0.5" diameter and 1.5" length gives 0.10 vent mach (seems OK) and helps get the cigar box to 77Hz. My only problem is with such a small box the speakers magnets are going to take up so much volume and destroy all these calculations

Click image for larger version

Name:	joeybox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1169719
      joebox.txt

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        IMO, 5 watts should be plenty for that design.
        These 3 inch TB full range drivers may work in that size box.
        http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-880
        You should have a divider between the left and right sides in order to give some stereo separation.
        These are good drivers - look for the minions. I have a pair of these too, and would probably do something like what you are doing (The OP), have a couple of cigar boxes lying around too. The minions are sealed though.

Comment

The divider needs to run front to back. - maybe you could house the amp in the back (or front).

Sorry, can't comment about your WinISD model.
          I can never really tell about bass response unless I run a model myself.
          Some drivers work better sealed, and others are better ported.
          I suspect the TBs I linked need sealed, since Qts is .62

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

This calculator should give you an idea how much space your drivers are using:
            http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calc...rDisplacement/

Comment

Thanks! In the mean time I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for rear mounting speakers like the Daytons I linked to above or the Tang's used in the Minions. I had an idea to rear mount them for a cleaner look and then build a little frame with speaker fabric wrapped around it and tack that to the cab over the speaker holes. Is there any downside to this ?

Comment

Originally posted by disorder View Post
                Thanks! In the mean time I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for rear mounting speakers like the Daytons I linked to above or the Tang's used in the Minions. I had an idea to rear mount them for a cleaner look and then build a little frame with speaker fabric wrapped around it and tack that to the cab over the speaker holes. Is there any downside to this ?
                There is a downside to the FR. Since you are going to use them full range, the FR will be affected unless you can rear mount then such that the baffle does not extend beyound the surround. The surround on these are pretty tiny, so there would be adverse affects in the higher FR. For bass drivers rear mount is OK.

But, for aesthetics you can rear mount, the FR won't be optimum, but a cigar boombox with a 3" driver is hardly optimum!

Not very sure what you are doing with the speaker fabric. The optimum is flush mounted naked drivers without grills or speaker cloth.

Comment

What about these cute lil guys.

http://www.parts-express.com/fountek...8-ohm--299-022

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE87.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1169754

Comment

Working...
                  X