Accuton cells etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuton cells etc

Anyone by chance tried the new C51? And by more chance know how they compare to the discontinued C50?

Also a question about the C220 6 and 11 ohm- are there any audible distortion issues below 80hz, looking at the site measurements

Re: Accuton cells etc

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    Anyone by chance tried the new C51? And by more chance know how they compare to the discontinued C50?

Also a question about the C220 6 and 11 ohm- are there any audible distortion issues below 80hz, looking at the site measurements
    The speakers we debuted at Axpona and now RMAF are the very first on the planet to use the C51. We actually have the first 6 or 8 pairs of them that came off the production line. I can't tell you how they compare to the C50 since I have zero experience with the C50. What I can say is that they are incredibly linear, have a pretty high sensitivity (~92dB/W), and their distortion levels are absolutely amplifier-like. You could run them as low at 500Hz if you're not trying to get massive SPLs. The high frequency breakup is ultrasonic so it's pretty easy to deal with. The mounting method is really cool too. We got them in black as well as white cones.

We also use a custom C220 as the lower midrange. Same cone but a much more powerful motor. You'll notice we don't use Accuton woofers for the bass module . . .

Here's a pic of serial numbers one and two mounted in their final home. They're crossed at 850Hz and 3000Hz.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The speakers we debuted at Axpona and now RMAF are the very first on the planet to use the C51. We actually have the first 6 or 8 pairs of them that came off the production line. I can't tell you how they compare to the C50 since I have zero experience with the C50. What I can say is that they are incredibly linear, have a pretty high sensitivity (~92dB/W), and their distortion levels are absolutely amplifier-like. You could run them as low at 500Hz if you're not trying to get massive SPLs. The high frequency breakup is ultrasonic so it's pretty easy to deal with. The mounting method is really cool too. We got them in black as well as white cones.

We also use a custom C220 as the lower midrange. Same cone but a much more powerful motor. You'll notice we don't use Accuton woofers for the bass module . . .

Here's a pic of serial numbers one and two mounted in their final home. They're crossed at 850Hz and 3000Hz.

Pete, those speakers are absolutely hideous. I really expected better from you guys. You can't really expect those to sell, do you? When you've given up on those and are looking for a place to dump them let me know and I will give you my address. :D
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

As for the cells I have these in the works.
        The drivers will be all cell drivers (C30, C90, and the AS190)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8in-cell-3d-wall-30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	1169794
        Here are the 30 liter enclosures for the AS190-9-252 (the desktops are 13.5" high)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	desk-top-30liter3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	1169795
        David
        Photos of projects and stuff
        http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/davidc549/
        My furniture web site.
        http://www.crewesfurniture.com/
        My gallery web site (Still trying to get that going)
        http://area61onmain.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          Pete, those speakers are absolutely hideous. I really expected better from you guys. You can't really expect those to sell, do you? When you've given up on those and are looking for a place to dump them let me know and I will give you my address. :D
          the people in the rooms above us at Axpona did not like them either Jeff. I know because at approximately 1 a.m. they sent the hotel staff to ask us to turn them down. maybe they just did not like the music we were playing.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by David Crewe View Post
            As for the cells I have these in the works.
            The drivers will be all cell drivers (C30, C90, and the AS190)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61024[/ATTACH]
            Here are the 30 liter enclosures for the AS190-9-252 (the desktops are 13.5" high)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61025[/ATTACH]
            David
            I can't wait to see them completed David. Should make for quite a statement!!!!

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            the people in the rooms above us at Axpona did not like them either Jeff. I know because at approximately 1 a.m. they sent the hotel staff to ask us to turn them down. maybe they just did not like the music we were playing.
            They now have a brand new crossover . . . what a difference.

They'll still get us in trouble at 1am though. :D
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

You are one guy with whom I would love to sit and listen to these monstrosities. We could sit around for hours finding all the faults and proposing fixes, maybe come up with our own Turbo Encabulator tutorial on how to refine the sound.

Hope all is going well with you Jeff! And hope to see you before too long.

Comment

What's the list price on the C51?
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                  What's the list price on the C51?
                  http://www.accuton.com/media/distrib...elist_2015.pdf

Pete, wow.

Comment

Thank you.
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Also found this on a german site, the new C168. Very shallow form
                      http://www.myro.de/Bilder%20open%20e...1_744x1052.jpg
                      http://www.myro.de/Bilder%20open%20e...2_744x1052.jpg

Kind of wish theyd use the cutout dots on more of their drivers, apart from looking cool they seem to work well

Comment

Kind of wish theyd use the cutout dots on more of their drivers, apart from looking cool they seem to work well
                        I agree. Most of their drivers without cutouts aren't special at all.

I have a pair of C173-6-90s stashed away for a rainy day, a pair of C51s would be the perfect bridge between them and either the OEM or small RAAL.

Comment

Hey Jeff, if you can load them by yourself, you can have them!

The C51 is an amazing driver, we talked about it and all the other pieces of the Perfect Storm here - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135390.0
                          Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                            I agree. Most of their drivers without cutouts aren't special at all.
                            The cutouts do weaken the cone, adding to resonance pre damping pad. Assuming you can stay far enough away from the resonance that it's not in play, you're better without the cutouts.
                            Vapor Audio

Comment

Accuton cells etc

They seem to work well in taming the 3.5- 4khz resonance in the Midbass cones.
                              For example, the C158 (according to a friend who tried crossing too high)has real audible issues if crossed too close, which is a shame if you wanted to use a ribbon

Comment

Working...
                              X