Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Grizzly tool coupons for Grizzly table saw and decision question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Grizzly tool coupons for Grizzly table saw and decision question.

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    Not to make this decision harder for you, but I'm with Whitneyville. If you're doing remodels and whatnot, I think a good portable is the way to go IMHO. Unless you have a large pole barn or a large area for a workshop. I used to build custom cabinets, but I had a small shop, so I had a Festool tracksaw and a Rigid portable table saw. You can actually do more with those 2 than you can with just a cabinet saw.

BUT... that's not to say a cabinet saw wouldn't be nice. Ideally, if I had a large shop, I'd still have a good cabinet saw (but I'd also still have a portable table saw). The repeatability and stability is tough to beat from a (good) cabinet saw with a 50" Biesemeyer fence, but definitely not necessary.

Edit: I should say I'd still have a portable and the Festool tracksaw. If I had to pick between either owning the portable table saw and the tracksaw, verses just having the cabinet saw, I would choose the portable with the tracksaw. YMMV though.
    I'm not doing remodels other than my own that I'll be doing. I was a contractor for 8 years or so before this last big crash 6 or 7 years ago. I had a nice Bosch potable table saw that worked great. Now I have an okay Craftsmen contractor saw. It's lightweight and flimsy. Now I'm wanting something with weight to it, which is why I'm looking at cabinet saws. I'm big enough that I can safely handle a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF and would like a saw that could safely handle it as well. My current craftsman cannot. It want to tip as I feed the sheet further and further into the saw. This is also a reason I want the 50" rip capacity, something you will not find on the portable saw. It will be used to make speaker cabinets, including subwoofers, amp side pieces, I intend to build a table, night stands and tons of other cool projects. I love speaker building while at the same time I love wood working so this saw will be seeing a lot of use. Just wish I could find a super saw locally.

Anyone want to check out craigslist local to Salem Oregon and let me know if there is a table saw that I'm just not noticing that would be better than the Grizzly?

https://salem.craigslist.org/search/...uery=table+saw
    Dan

Comment

I saw that same Sawstop on my areas craigslist. http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/5283526826.html I thought there was something fishy just from the price so now I do believe there's some sort of scam gong on there. If you look closely, you'll see it's a different pic but same shop.
      Grizzly has this hybrid on sale http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...able-Saw/G0771. I'm considering it but I live only 1 hour from a grizzly store so shipping won't be an issue.

Comment

I have a Mountain brand po' man's track saw. It takes double or triple the time to set-up as Carl's Festool and using my saw. Mine was just over $100 and I provided the circular saw. Hey, I wouldn't have ever purchased the 4"X5" Toyo view camera and lenses (twice the price of my house) if I didn't know I would use it alot. 90% of my commercial work could have been done with the Mamiya RZ67 and been OK. 30" x 40" prints from a 6x7cm negative are pushing things to the limit. With good glass, 84" x150" "wallpaper" of an operating oil rig, you can read the name tags on the pushers and roughnecks shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by richard t View Post
          I saw that same Sawstop on my areas craigslist. http://scranton.craigslist.org/tls/5283526826.html I thought there was something fishy just from the price so now I do believe there's some sort of scam gong on there.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 8.00.42 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1170063

Yep. Baltimore too. Very odd... Gotta be a scam

Comment

Originally posted by fish-24_7 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61458[/ATTACH]

Yep. Baltimore too. Very odd... Gotta be a scam
            Haha, should I try contacting them again, they just won't text me back. I have cash in hand!!!

Dan

Comment

Maybe you've seen this already. Maybe transportation is an issue (It is in Gold Beach)... But this looks pretty sweet to me:
              https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/5251785231.html

Comment

Grizzly coupons come randomly and not frequently.
                They send coupons to current customers in the mail sometimes.
                Post on woodnet if someone might have a spare 10% off coupon they would share with you. They are time limited and folks are pretty generous on woodnet.

Unless u can get a great deal on a old delta or PW or a newish Sawstop - the grizzly is excellent. I have one myself. No complaints.
                Looking back I often wonder if I should have gone with a Sawstop. These machines are hard to upgrade (even if the girl is onboard).

Comment

Originally posted by Neis View Post
                  Maybe you've seen this already. Maybe transportation is an issue (It is in Gold Beach)... But this looks pretty sweet to me:
                  https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/5251785231.html
                  This would be a done deal IMO, I'd be all over the Delta. That's a nice saw. The scoring blade is awesome for no tear out.
                  "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                  "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

That is sweet. I like the extended miter slot.

Comment

Tilts the wrong way, for me anyway.
                      David
                      Photos of projects and stuff
                      http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/davidc549/
                      My furniture web site.
                      http://www.crewesfurniture.com/
                      My gallery web site (Still trying to get that going)
                      http://area61onmain.com/

Comment

That Delta is super cool with the miter slot extension and scoring blade. I've never heard of either of those features and both seem very useful.

I'm still awaiting upgraded electrical in my garage before I buy a new saw - oh, and I have to save up $3k too. lol. I got some great feedback in my SawStop thread a while back. Check it out if you want to read a little more tablesaw banter. My mind is 90% made up that i'll be holding out till I can get a SawStop. As Nocrapman mentioned, upgrading once you have a serious saw in your shop is a difficult/costly venture, so hold out for what you really want the first time.

I looked in a few of my woodworking magazines but couldn't find any grizzly coupons for you.

Good luck with your hunt

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                          This would be a done deal IMO, I'd be all over the Delta. That's a nice saw. The scoring blade is awesome for no tear out.
                          The only problem w/ Delta is parts. They can't even supply many parts for Unisaws, I would be worried about anything that wasn't mainstream enough where I can trip over parts on eBay.

The same sorta goes for the Powermatic. They changed hands recently and while there is no evidence that parts availability has suffered, I do worry the same thing happening to them.

In a weird way, I think when it comes to parts availability, you have to like Grizzly. They've made a real effort to stock parts.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                            The only problem w/ Delta is parts. They can't even supply many parts for Unisaws, I would be worried about anything that wasn't mainstream enough where I can trip over parts on eBay.

The same sorta goes for the Powermatic. They changed hands recently and while there is no evidence that parts availability has suffered, I do worry the same thing happening to them.

In a weird way, I think when it comes to parts availability, you have to like Grizzly. They've made a real effort to stock parts.
                            That Delta is actually an upgraded version of a Unisaw, the upgrade being the scoring blade (which can be removed/disabled), and an optional sliding table (that I don't think that one has). I'd be all over that Delta, it was around $5k new back in about 2010. I also think if you remove the scoring blade you can run up to a 12" blade, but I'm not positive on that.

He listed it for $1295 OBO, offer $1k and cross you fingers.
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

So let say I go for that delta, the only thing I don't like about it is the fence, can it easily take a new fence? There is someone selling jet xacta fences which are bessy copies. Could I use one of those? Any downfall of that delta? Weird that it would be $5000 and 5 years later selling for 1/5th that. I looked and that seems to be the going rate.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                                So let say I go for that delta, the only thing I don't like about it is the fence, can it easily take a new fence? There is someone selling jet xacta fences which are bessy copies. Could I use one of those? Any downfall of that delta? Weird that it would be $5000 and 5 years later selling for 1/5th that. I looked and that seems to be the going rate.

Dan
                                Nothing wrong with that fence, it looks like the stock delta Uni-fence that my late (Superstorm Sandy) Unisaw came with in the
                                early 80's. I prefer it to the beisymer that I have now.

Comment

Working...
                                X