Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Grizzly tool coupons for Grizzly table saw and decision question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squidspeak
    replied
    Re: OT: Grizzly tool coupons for Grizzly table saw and decision question.

Originally posted by David Crewe View Post
    Maybe he's selling so cheap is because he figured out that the inside tilt sux. It binds, the blade is tilted towards your hand (nerve wracking), and when you finish a miter cut the drop is sliding down the blade. Imagine your hand on that piece as it flips towards the blade. I calculated it one time and if memory serves that piece is coming at you at ~125 MPH.
    It tilts the wrong way.
    David
    Granted the issues you cited can be dangerous but there are 10's of thousands of Unisaws built that way. Only later on in
    the 90's did Delta offer a left or right tilt option. I would definitely prefer my saw tilted away from the fence, in a perfect world I would
    have one of each. Sometimes when cutting mitres and chip out on the bottom side (veneers and laminate) is a concern it would be nice to have
    the option of left or right tilt; alas in a perfect world after winning the lottery.

Leave a comment:

• saabracer23
    replied

Originally posted by David Crewe View Post
    Maybe he's selling so cheap is because he figured out that the inside tilt sux. It binds, the blade is tilted towards your hand (nerve wracking), and when you finish a miter cut the drop is sliding down the blade. Imagine your hand on that piece as it flips towards the blade. I calculated it one time and if memory serves that piece is coming at you at ~125 MPH.
    It tilts the wrong way.
    David
    After some research and reading, I've decided to pass on the delta. The search continues on...

Dan

Leave a comment:

• David Crewe
    replied

It tilts the wrong way.
    David

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    Did you scrap your saw :(? I think I know a guy in your area that restores the old Unisaws. I'm sure giving it a saltwater bath wasn't particularly good for it, but I'd imagine it would've been repairable. I've seen pics of some really old cast iron woodworking equipment he's restored; huge bandsaws, table saws, planers, etc. Some of it was complete junk, he made it new again. Actually seems like it would be a fun hobby. Not speaker building fun, but close
    After the storm I planned on rebuilding it and took it apart and gave it a
    freshwater bath then soaked it with WD-40. I bought a used unisaw a month after the storm because I needed one right away. I sold a lot of my
    damaged tools to a friend who plans on restoring them ; Unisaw, 8'' jointer, Delta HD Shaper, dust collector. I restored my Delta Bandsaw and
    Radial Arm Saw

Leave a comment:

• Neis
    replied

As far as why it was $5000 and now is $1200... there is a very good chance that saw is 20 years old and it is a bit of a specialty saw. People want one that says "Uni-Saw" on the side. Also, it doesn't have the original sliding table. None of these things matter at all, really. A good saw will always be a good saw if it is well cared for. I'd guess the motor isn't original (single phase) but I am not positive. I'd go check it out. It's been up a month. The guy is probably open to offers. Run it, make some cuts, check the table and fence for square. I don't know what you're looking for in a fence, but that fence, if it is in good shape, is great.

Leave a comment:

• trevordj
    replied

Sign up for Grizzly's emails. As has been said, coupons are few and far between but you just missed a 10% coupon code that went out about two weeks ago and expired about 1 week ago. I had been waiting for about 6 months for the coupon and picked up a G0651 cabinet saw, G0490X jointer, G0453PX planer, G0513X2BF bandsaw, and G7948 drill press. I wish I would have gotten a shaper too but that will have to wait for the next coupon . I even signed up for a subscription to woodworker's journal as several said that there were occasionally 10% off coupons in that magazine but I never saw one there.

The good news is shipping from Bellingham to Portland was really fast, I'm sure it wouldn't take any more time to get to Salem.

Leave a comment:

• Lionheart
    replied

I purchased a Grizzly 0690 last fall. I enjoy it, and I'm not really sure what else I'd want other than a longer warranty.

The only change I would recommend is buying a new measuring tape - i found it hard to read the supplied version.

The 3 HP is all I need for 8/4 hard maple. I make one or two furniture pieces a year, plus speaker cabinets. The G1023RL is supposed to be a more modern design, but uses the random motor instead of the Leeson in the G0690/91. You could look at that too.

I'm much more concerned about kickback than putting my finger on the blade, so a Gr-Ripper and magnetic featherstep are much more important safety pieces than a sawstop.

I've put a few scratches in the HDPE fence, but that would happen with any top brand too. Customer service is excellent.

If you want something that works, rather than provides a ton or ownership pride - I don't think you will be disappointed in Grizzly.

Leave a comment:

• Liberator of Magic Smoke
    replied

I'm surprised that Delta hasn't sold yet. That fence has some pretty neat capabilities too.

Leave a comment:

• saabracer23
    replied

Well I guess I could at least check it out. Do you think that delta would be a much better option than the Grizzly? Would it be compatible to a PM2000 or so? I ask because I've really never seen nor researched that delta before. It would require driving a uhaul about 2-3 hours each way, loading and unloading (which I'd absolutely do for the right saw). There is something to be said for having a 500-600 pound toy being delivered right to your front door or garage door.

As far as saving to the perfect saw the first time, that could be a little hard. While I'm able to do this because I'll have left over money from our move, I know that if I don't spend it somewhat soon my wife will find other "necessities" that the money could be spent on. Sawstops are quite nice and I know they sell a quality unit but I personally think they're just too over priced. I know mistakes happen, but I alway give the saw my 150% attention and respect unless I'm drunk when I'm using it.

There was a Powermatic PM2000 in my area not too long back that was $1750 and it was in beautiful condition. It went quickly of course. I'll be checking every day and if something new comes up I'll post it here to get thoughts, as of now I'll research the Delta and will probably only get to see it at the purchase meet. Should I worry about not being able to source parts for it?

They Grizzly is so appealing because, well it's so easy. It's delivered to my door, parts are available, there are plenty of mods as far at the fence, dust collection, etc goes. People that own them say the build quality and customer service are excellent.

Why does this have to be so hard?!?!?! (That's what she said)

Dan

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
    Nothing wrong with that fence, it looks like the stock delta Uni-fence that my late (Superstorm Sandy) Unisaw came with in the
    early 80's. I prefer it to the beisymer that I have now.
    Did you scrap your saw :(? I think I know a guy in your area that restores the old Unisaws. I'm sure giving it a saltwater bath wasn't particularly good for it, but I'd imagine it would've been repairable. I've seen pics of some really old cast iron woodworking equipment he's restored; huge bandsaws, table saws, planers, etc. Some of it was complete junk, he made it new again. Actually seems like it would be a fun hobby. Not speaker building fun, but close

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
    So let say I go for that delta, the only thing I don't like about it is the fence, can it easily take a new fence? There is someone selling jet xacta fences which are bessy copies. Could I use one of those? Any downfall of that delta? Weird that it would be $5000 and 5 years later selling for 1/5th that. I looked and that seems to be the going rate.

Dan
    Nothing wrong with that fence, it looks like the stock delta Uni-fence that my late (Superstorm Sandy) Unisaw came with in the
    early 80's. I prefer it to the beisymer that I have now.

Leave a comment:

• saabracer23
    replied

So let say I go for that delta, the only thing I don't like about it is the fence, can it easily take a new fence? There is someone selling jet xacta fences which are bessy copies. Could I use one of those? Any downfall of that delta? Weird that it would be $5000 and 5 years later selling for 1/5th that. I looked and that seems to be the going rate.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Originally posted by philthien View Post
    The only problem w/ Delta is parts. They can't even supply many parts for Unisaws, I would be worried about anything that wasn't mainstream enough where I can trip over parts on eBay.

The same sorta goes for the Powermatic. They changed hands recently and while there is no evidence that parts availability has suffered, I do worry the same thing happening to them.

In a weird way, I think when it comes to parts availability, you have to like Grizzly. They've made a real effort to stock parts.
    That Delta is actually an upgraded version of a Unisaw, the upgrade being the scoring blade (which can be removed/disabled), and an optional sliding table (that I don't think that one has). I'd be all over that Delta, it was around $5k new back in about 2010. I also think if you remove the scoring blade you can run up to a 12" blade, but I'm not positive on that.

He listed it for $1295 OBO, offer $1k and cross you fingers.

Leave a comment:

• philthien
    replied

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    This would be a done deal IMO, I'd be all over the Delta. That's a nice saw. The scoring blade is awesome for no tear out.
    The only problem w/ Delta is parts. They can't even supply many parts for Unisaws, I would be worried about anything that wasn't mainstream enough where I can trip over parts on eBay.

The same sorta goes for the Powermatic. They changed hands recently and while there is no evidence that parts availability has suffered, I do worry the same thing happening to them.

In a weird way, I think when it comes to parts availability, you have to like Grizzly. They've made a real effort to stock parts.

Leave a comment:

• lowpolyjoe
    replied

That Delta is super cool with the miter slot extension and scoring blade. I've never heard of either of those features and both seem very useful.

I'm still awaiting upgraded electrical in my garage before I buy a new saw - oh, and I have to save up $3k too. lol. I got some great feedback in my SawStop thread a while back. Check it out if you want to read a little more tablesaw banter. My mind is 90% made up that i'll be holding out till I can get a SawStop. As Nocrapman mentioned, upgrading once you have a serious saw in your shop is a difficult/costly venture, so hold out for what you really want the first time.

I looked in a few of my woodworking magazines but couldn't find any grizzly coupons for you.

Good luck with your hunt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X