Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Chromecast for streaming music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Chromecast for streaming music?

Just curious how this works. I've heard it works with Pandora and Spotify, but not with Tidal; is that true? Why wouldn't it work with Tidal? It seems like it should stream everything your phone is playing. Anyone here using it??

Chromecast Audio
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Re: Anyone using Chromecast for streaming music?

I'm using a couple of Chromecast audios for multi room music. Very slick little device, but no Tidal support. I'm anxiously waiting for Tidal to update their app to work with Chromecast which from some sources was supposed to be ready by CES 2016.

Are you using iOS or Android? You can use Bubbleupnp on Android to stream Tidal which is supposed to work quite well.

Comment

Re: Anyone using Chromecast for streaming music?

Originally posted by johsti View Post
      I'm using a couple of Chromecast audios for multi room music. Very slick little device, but no Tidal support. I'm anxiously waiting for Tidal to update their app to work with Chromecast which from some sources was supposed to be ready by CES 2016.

Are you using iOS or Android? You can use Bubbleupnp on Android to stream Tidal which is supposed to work quite well.
      Android. I picked up the Chromecast Audio today and the SQ really is good, much better than the iPod. The app you recommended worked, thanks!!

I was using a Danibos BT receiver before to play my phone's music on my system, I can't wait to A/B that against the Chromecast. I need someone to come over that has Tidal, so we can both use it to play the same song and switch between the Danibos and the Chromecast and see which sounds better. I imagine the Chromecast, because I compared the Danibos to my CD player a while ago and my CD player was better, but the Danibos was still better than my iPod. With the Chromecast, the sound quality against the CD player is negligible at best.

Chromecast is positively more of a nuisance to use than the Danibos just because with Chromecast, Tidal needs to run thru the other app you recommended, and there's limitations to functionality unless you pay for the app. I'd buy it, but I'm not sure what exactly you get with the paid version, and I'm also not sure if it's a 1 time fee or a monthly fee.

I flipped between the Chromecast and my CD player and the difference in SQ was nearly impossible for me to tell which was better, and also if I was blindfolded I'd struggle to even say which was playing. Going from iPod to the Chromecast was definitely more noticeable, iPod was more compressed.
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Working...
      X