Titebond 60/40 mix, how much do I need and how to apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titebond 60/40 mix, how much do I need and how to apply

I need to buy more titebony and before i do, I Need to know what size glue I need to buy. My speakers will be the Tritrix tl but the tall boy design at 48" tall. Do I need to buy the gallon or will the smaller tubed do the job as I don't wanna buy a large amount and just have it go to waste as I really wouldn't need it again for a long whIle. How do you apply the sealer, by brush or roller? Is 60/40 the mix should do or a different ratio? Thanks

Re: Titebond 60/40 mix, how much do I need and how to apply

Are you trying to use it to glue on veneer or just coat the box to seal it? You don't really say in your post.

If you want to glue on veneer using the iron on method, use Joe Woodworker's "Heat Lock" glue, it's the best stuff for ironing on veneer, spend a few extra bucks and do it right...it won't come off if you do it right.

I think we need some more information, like what did you make your box out of, MDF, particle board, plywood... what are you trying to do... prep for paint, veneer, etc.

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

I have done it both ways, with a cheap 3" brush and a foam roller. The roller is faster, but will use more glue, since it soaks up in the roller and hard to get all of it out.
      I actually went closer to 50/50 and it worked out, but for 1 coat coverage you might be better to stick with the 60/40.
      Not really sure how much to get (that's a big cabinet at 48" tall), but I would go with at least 2- big bottles (I think its a quart) and maybe 1-2 smaller bottles (pint). Start with a quart bottle, see how much it covers and then you can plan how much you will need. Leaving as many unused bottles as possible to return.
      Be sure and post some pics...nothing happens on this forum if there aren't some pics!
      Paul

The "SB's" build page
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

The bigger the bottle, the cheaper it gets (considerably).

Comment

Oh my apologies, sheesh can't believe I left all that out haha posted first thing in the morning. Yes this is on 3/4" mdf to seal the box for painting. I was even contemplating doing the inside as well. I actually have a build thread started but just wanted to get an idea real quick. I will take some pictures as I go with the build. I hope going tbe diy route is going to be worth it as all these extras are getting expensive quick. The big bottles of glue are $17 a piece and at two that's another 40. That said I do enjoy trying to build everything myself. I even just finished my own circle jig and circular saw guides. All of this from material just laying around the house.

Comment

I'd just buy a 16oz bottle ($4-$5? - giving you a quart @ 50/50) and see how far that takes you. Don't bother w/the inside. I think that might be all you need.

Comment

A 16oz bottle will be adequate.
              "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Working...
              X