Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't clamp down my circular saw cutting guide, ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't clamp down my circular saw cutting guide, ideas?

So I made these awesome circular straight edge guides and do my first cut which is the long rip to cut the side and front panels to height. I then went to cut the first 7.5" wide baffle and there is no way for me to clamp the jig to the mdf. I feel a little stupid right now. I would need some super long clamps or I'm thinking about just screwing down the guide to the mdf and filling the at most, 2 holes during prep. Anyone run into this?

Re: Can't clamp down my circular saw cutting guide, ideas?

Pics?
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160116_200728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	1171129

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160116_200719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	1171130

I already see what I had to do for smaller pieces of wood. I needed to make both sides of guide a straight edge so that I could turn the saw around and ride the skinnier side along the guide. The problem lies in the fact that the saw motor hits the clamps. The only place I could clamp would be on the left side passed the guide bit as you can see that's not possible.

Comment

Try double sided tape.

Ron
          C-Note Iron Driver Build
          The Lydias
          The Cherry π's
          The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
          My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but flip your jig around and cut the other direction?
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

It's a zero clearance jig where you line the edge of the board up and just cut. No measuring for the blade etc. I could turn it around and set it back the width of the blade but was just trying to minimize mistakes.

Comment

My guide is similar. I usually screw it to the work piece, unless the work piece is too small. In that case I screw the work piece to it, from underneath. You just need to use screws that won't go through all the way.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yea I figured easy enough to just screw it to the work piece and fill the hole if I go all the way through. In the end no big deal but I was just scratching my head for a minute there hahaha

Comment

I have a similar jig and clamping is always a pita because of the motor clearance. If I clamp with my smallest F-clamps and place them strategically with the screw out of the way on the bottom, I can *just* barely get my motor to hop over the exposed clamp jaw with a little 1/8" bump. Short screws sounds like a reasonable approach. I also like the double-sided tape idea. I bought one roll a long time ago that worked great for a lot of projects. Haven't been able to find that kind again and everything else I've bough since then hasn't worked as well.

Good luck

Comment

Small C-clamps will give you plenty of clearance for the saw motor.

Bob

Comment

I cut the other way with the motor opposite the guide. I just use a long level and calculate the setback from the side of the saw to the blade.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                          My guide is similar. I usually screw it to the work piece, unless the work piece is too small. In that case I screw the work piece to it, from underneath. You just need to use screws that won't go through all the way.
                          Same here, just let a sheet rock screw "peek" past the surface. It works for me.
                          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I use 4" spring clamps to hold down my guide. I occasionally run into small clearance issues like lowpolyjoe but only a small "hop" that doesn't show itself in the cut.

Comment

Working great clamping, screw, unclamp. Screw not even poking through the other side. Cuts are coming out amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X