Anybody used this 2.1 amp module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody used this 2.1 amp module?

I was wondering if anybody has used this amp http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPD...eeL&ref=plSrch I was thinking about using it in a 2.1 boom box. I like the idea of using Tyger 23's Mariposas http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...A-HIBM65C20-8) and DanP's NRNP sub http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...A-HIBM65C20-8) I think the combination of the two designs would be quite compact and should work well together with the amp. What do you guys think?

Re: Anybody used this 2.1 amp module?

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    I was wondering if anybody has used this amp http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPD...eeL&ref=plSrch I was thinking about using it in a 2.1 boom box.
    Kind of. I have the amp, I have powered it up and listed to it for about 4 min on one of my 2.1 boomboxes but that is it. I will be further testing it in the next month or two. I can tell you on a 12v 5A power supply it seemed to have more output than the smaller 2.1 board that PE sells. There is not much info on the amp itself as to what the knobs do. After my short listening experience, there is a volume knob, a treble knob (this is just a treble cut) and a woofer volume knob. I don't know what the sub is crossed at. I have asked the question of then seller on Amazon and I have contacted the manufacturer of the amp (Yuan Jing) as well. So far no response yet. I really wish it had a 3.5mm jack for an input. The JST connector is just harder to work with and crimp the connectors for.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

I was wondering if anybody has used this amp http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPD...eeL&ref=plSrch I was thinking about using it in a 2.1 boom box. I like the idea of using Tyger 23's Mariposas http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...A-HIBM65C20-8) and DanP's NRNP sub http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...A-HIBM65C20-8) I think the combination of the two designs would be quite compact and should work well together with the amp. What do you guys think?
      Not that one, But I have been testing this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YJ-TPA3116-2...IAAOSw0vBUbAh8

The Good: Performs as advertised. Dead quiet when inserting/removing the 3.5mm signal cable, cycling the power on/off switch, and inserting/removing the DC power plug (w/ live voltage). Has performed reliably on several tests at high (e.g., max) volume for several hours at a time on the ".1" channel driving a 4ohm Peerless 830946 6.5" woofer (stays cool enough to keep your finger on the heatsink - barely). I have not tried it while also simultaneously driving the LR channels into 4 ohms (that test is coming soon). I have powered it with 26v (two freshly charged AGM-SLAs in series) with no averse effects. The pots are smooth so far.

The Bad: I don't have a discerning ear (bad hearing) nor quality speakers to determine if the module's use of electrolytic caps in the signal path effects the sound quality. The PS cap interferes with adding a screw terminal on one of the LR output channels (my solution: removed it and reinserted the cap on the under side of the board). There aren't any mounting holes, needs custom mounting arrangement. Gain is fixed at 26db. My PC line out drives to full volume, my phone needed the Sure $8 preamp (@PE) to achieve full volume.

Specs: The amp has a 1st order inverting band pass on the sub channel with a low end Fc of 34hz removing some of the low end bass (useful for controlling Xmax in my design, can be changed with a larger cap of same dimensions). The sub's LP is a 2nd order Butterworth filter fixed at 107hz. For my design I replaced the 2 caps in the LP filter to achieve an 2nd order LR at 1073hz. The ".1" channel is TPA3116 in PBTL mode rated for 2 ohms. The L-R are the individual channels of the 3116 rated at 4 ohm min impedance. My calculations indicate 55 watts at <1% THD into 4 ohms on all three channels using a 25V PS.

I reverse engineered most of the circuit. See the schematic attached (you can save the .png file to your PC for better viewing).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Schematic 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1171138

Name:	Amp Legend.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	1171139
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Millstonemike; 01-17-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
        I really wish it had a 3.5mm jack for an input. The JST connector is just harder to work with and crimp the connectors for.
        Do you think this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N3V...53051862&sr=8- would fit the amps input allowing you to not have to do any crimping? Thanks for your info as well. I'm glad to here that it had a bit more power than the P.E. 2.1 board. I think the Tang Band sub being sealed could use the extra juice.

Comment

Just found this one too http://m.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-2-1-Ch....c100408.m2460 looks pretty good

Comment

Don't know about the amp, but the speakers are quite compact. I built separates and powered with Tyger 23's 2.1 amp. Be advised the NRNP sub is biased towards small size and simplicity. I have the sub placed in what you could call 1 pi space, in the corner of the bedroom with the nightstand adjacent. In this case, bass is quite good. Wolf's Biumph/Triumph(?) using the same driver but a little larger, might be a step up in performance.

I am quite happy with the system.
            Attached Files

Comment

I set up the Yuan Jing 2.1 amp on my test box. I am using a Sure 4.0 BT module for input and a 12v battery pack for power. Initial impressions are that it has a lot more output than the PE 2.1 amp. This is probably driven in some part by the amplified output of the Sure BT module. The big downer is the woofer is crossed way to high. Sounds like it could be around 350z or a little higher. It just sounds muddy. I will put it through some more listening but to be honest, for my application, the PE 2.1 amp sounds better.

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Gordy, have you tried splitting the output from the Sure BT module to run two amp boards. I am thinking, run a 2 channel amp for L & R and a mono amp for the sub (possibly with a passive lpf). Mind you the xo would probably cost more than the amp.

Comment

Thanks for the test info Gordy! I wonder if placing one of these http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...sover--266-444 in between the amp and sub would clean things up and get rid of the muddiness.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    I am quite happy with the system.
                    Thanks for the feedback. I would like the extension/output of the Triumph design, however space is at a minimum for placement and storing of the boom box when not in use. I was thinking of building the box the same height and depth of the Mariposas and placing the sub in-between them. I'll just make the sub sections volume match the NRNP's spec. I think I'll have the baffles stand proud of the box a half inch as well, maybe it'll help some?

Comment

I would like to see you build it and get your opinion of the results. It would be a very compact unit.

Comment

Originally posted by 01-0077 View Post
                        Gordy, have you tried splitting the output from the Sure BT module to run two amp boards. I am thinking, run a 2 channel amp for L & R and a mono amp for the sub (possibly with a passive lpf). Mind you the xo would probably cost more than the amp.
                        No,I have not but the 4.0 module outputs are amplified and would be more than enough to drive 2 amplifiers. Sure does make mono amps in the lower wattages. I have a 1x30 I am testing now but I do not have the requisite 4ohm driver to test it with only 8ohm. I will order a 4ohm driver when I order the below crossover.

Thanks for the test info Gordy! I wonder if placing one of these http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...sover--266-444 in between the amp and sub would clean things up and get rid of the muddiness.
                        Yes. this might be a good option. I will order one tomorrow and test it out. Costly option but it might just be simplest and the best.

The Madeleine
                        The Roxster
                        Swopes 5.0
                        Acoustic Panels
                        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Gordy,

Thanks for doing this testing, can't wait to hear the results. I have been considering a 2.1 boombox for a while but the 2.1 amp board reviews have always put me off, especially in regard to low pass filters. Have you seen the NE5532 Subwoofer pre's on ebay? I was thinking about trying one out.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                            I also ordered the parts to see if I could make my own FMods. I made one for 150hz this evening out of mylar caps and 2% tolerance resistors and it kind of worked. It sounded a bit higher than 150hz but is robbed about 50%+ of signal. This idea may be a bust. Yes. this might be a good option. I will order one tomorrow and test it out. Costly option but it might just be simplest and the best.
                            The attached are a mini tutorials on PLLXOs (sorry if this is redundant).

Name:	1st Order PLLXO.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1171205

Name:	2nd Order PLLXO.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1171206

Are you guys adverse to modifying the board itself. I had great success modifying my TPA3116's LP filter on the sub channel (see post #3). I could almost reverse engineer the TPA3123's LP filter from the picture on Amazon (but not quite w/o the physical module). And then this board is all surface mount requiring excellent soldering skills. My board had two thru-hole caps that I replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by 01-0077 View Post
                              Gordy,

Thanks for doing this testing, can't wait to hear the results. I have been considering a 2.1 boombox for a while but the 2.1 amp board reviews have always put me off, especially in regard to low pass filters. Have you seen the NE5532 Subwoofer pre's on ebay? I was thinking about trying one out.a

John.

Yes, I have one. Is has a frequency and level control. The level control works very well but the frequency not so much. It may be the driver and amp but it was a prelim test.

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                              The attached are a mini tutorials on PLLXOs (sorry if this is redundant).

Are you guys adverse to modifying the board itself. I had great success modifying my TPA3116's LP filter on the sub channel (see post #3). I could almost reverse engineer the TPA3123's LP filter from the picture on Amazon (but not quite w/o the physical module). And then this board is all surface mount requiring excellent soldering skills. My board had two thru-hole caps that I replaced.

These are the the instructions that I used. I built a 2nd order low pass filter and it did work but it sucked 1/2 the signal. But I also was not using a 4ohm woofer on a dedicated 4ohm amp. that could have been a contributing factor.

I am not adverse modifying the board as a one off but I am as a production piece. For the time a trouble of modifying the amp it is just as easy to add a passive crossover.

The Madeleine
                              The Roxster
                              Swopes 5.0
                              Acoustic Panels
                              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Working...
                              X