OMG, I'm using Windows 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG, I'm using Windows 10!

My MacBook is getting old and having hardware problems. I'd love to buy a new MacBook, but I'm not quite there financially.
    So I shopped around for an affordable tablet to tide me over until I can afford a new Mac. My girlfriend had an iPad, which I used several times but I never really liked using it. So anyway I shopped long and hard for a Windows tablet and found myself a great deal on a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 2 in 1 laptop-tablet. This is my first use of Windows 10, not much different than the Windows 8.1 on my Lumia smartphone.

$269 for an Intel Celeron processor, 4Gigs of Ram, 128GB SSD and Dragontrail glass on the screen. It's one of Lenovo's Education Series, so it is quite durable, very tough. Touchscreen works very good, but the picture quality, the resolution isn't all the great.
    Last edited by ; 01-28-2016, 03:20 PM.

Re: OMG, I'm using Windows 10!

Been on an new HP Notebook that came with W10 for a month now.
    Works fine - no issues
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I had the preview on my laptop, dual boot wth Win7. No problems. It timed out ,so I'm back to 7, I don't want to do the final upgrade from 7 yet.

Also have a cheap Dell tablet, upgraded from 8.1 to 10. No problems there, either.
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I've rolled it out to everything I have (way too many computers) and had very few issues. The in place upgrade generally worked well, but a few PC's required a clean follow up installation to exorcise some strange behavior.

Save one... My HTPC in the living room remains on Windows 8.1. I use Windows Media Center for my OTA TV and after battling with Kodi + Media Portal and other TV servers under Windows 10 I kicked it back. Until there's a product that works as simply and reliably as Media Center I'm sticking to 8.1 on that machine.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Where did you get such a good deal on it?
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
            Where did you get such a good deal on it?
            I scoured the internet for three days, looking at ebay and Amazon and BestBuy and Walmart. I read dozens of reviews on several makes-models, then I came across this.

http://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-th...ch-ultrabook-2

Comment

I scoured the internet for three days, looking at ebay and Amazon and BestBuy and Walmart. I read dozens of reviews on several makes-models, then I came across this.

Looks like a nice little laptop. Great deal. Sorry I missed it. My iPad is so slow, it is annoying. I need something better (non Apple!).
              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
                Looks like a nice little laptop. Great deal. Sorry I missed it. My iPad is so slow, it is annoying. I need something better (non Apple!).
                It isn't a full blown laptop in as much as screen size is concerned, and it doesn't have an optical drive either.
                However the ability to fold the keyboard back out of the way and use it as a touch tablet makes it slightly more versatile.

If you are looking for something similar, take a look at what ACER and ASUS have to offer. There was one ASUS in about the same price range as this one, with a removable keyboard, but it only had 64Gigs of eMMC storage as opposed to having 128Gigs on this one.

I barely know how to use Windows, so I am having some difficulty with this in laptop mode, but having a touch screen makes it a bit easier for me.

Comment

I like Windows 10, and I've put it on at least 5 of my PCs. But, I just don't really want Microsoft collecting tons of data about me. No particular reason, I just think if it's data about me, then until there are laws giving us long term permanent control over our data (data about us, stored by other companies), we may as well not let companies collect it.

One thing I did was install the free program "KeyScrambler" which helps protect against "key logger" malware, and also prevents some keystroke data collection. I also ran a program/script which disables the bulk of Microsoft's data collection. I just generally don't like the idea that they think it's OK to throw some EULA at us that we don't even read, then proceed to collect the contents of my emails, my family photos on my PC, etc. etc. and STORE them on THEIR file servers remotely to be accessed as they see fit. Seems senseless nearly to the point of insanity that they've been allowed to roll this out to millions of consumers and nobody has stopped them.
                  "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                    I like Windows 10, and I've put it on at least 5 of my PCs. But, I just don't really want Microsoft collecting tons of data about me. No particular reason, I just think if it's data about me, then until there are laws giving us long term permanent control over our data (data about us, stored by other companies), we may as well not let companies collect it.

One thing I did was install the free program "KeyScrambler" which helps protect against "key logger" malware, and also prevents some keystroke data collection. I also ran a program/script which disables the bulk of Microsoft's data collection. I just generally don't like the idea that they think it's OK to throw some EULA at us that we don't even read, then proceed to collect the contents of my emails, my family photos on my PC, etc. etc. and STORE them on THEIR file servers remotely to be accessed as they see fit. Seems senseless nearly to the point of insanity that they've been allowed to roll this out to millions of consumers and nobody has stopped them.
                    I found that it's almost impossible to prevent any and all companies from gathering as much information as they want to, but. . . I found out that I can obfuscate the mixture just a bit by spreading around false or misleading information about myself. Maybe that seems weird, but I kind of like the idea, that way if anybody tries to steal my identity, they'll be all messed up trying to get it right.

Comment

I use Win 10 tablet from Lenovo 8" Miix which is great no keyboard included you don't need it. You can buy it 2nd hand or refurbished which is much cheaper, $150-$200, or cheaper for other brands, eg. Dell. If you refer you can get 10" version as well which is more expensive. I run Fidelizer and JRiver and the overall sound is quite good.

Comment

With regards to privacy, Microsoft doesn't scare me nearly as much as Google.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          With regards to privacy, Microsoft doesn't scare me nearly as much as Google.
                          Scary is medical devices/instrumentation using XP and Win7, although I've not seen Win10 used on medical devices yet, if past trends continue I expect it will happen in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by ttan98 View Post
                            I use Win 10 tablet from Lenovo 8" Miix which is great no keyboard included you don't need it. You can buy it 2nd hand or refurbished which is much cheaper, $150-$200, or cheaper for other brands, eg. Dell. If you refer you can get 10" version as well which is more expensive. I run Fidelizer and JRiver and the overall sound is quite good.
                            That one was also one of my choices along with a Lenovo Miix that did have a removable keyboard. BestBuy online has some refurbs and open box deals that are very affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by mike s View Post
                              Scary is medical devices/instrumentation using XP and Win7, although I've not seen Win10 used on medical devices yet, if past trends continue I expect it will happen in the next few years.
                              You have a better idea? Microsoft has always been consistent with patching their Operating Systems, and keeping them under support much longer most other companies.
                              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
                              X