Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion 8 Alchemy: three-way or powered sub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion 8 Alchemy: three-way or powered sub?

I have a set of nearly complete Fusion 8 Alchemy speakers that I have never gotten around to wiring up.

My plan was to build a full 5.1 system using Fusion speakers, but life got in the way, and my guitar builds took precedence.

There have been a number of new additions to the Fusion line, and Jeff B. also introduced the Kairos and Continuum Three-Way concept.

Assuming I'm starting with nothing but the Fusions, and budget IS a consideration, would you build a 2.1 system with a powered sub, or try a 2.0 system as a three way, adding a separate woofer cabinet below the Fusions?

My suspicion is that it will be very difficult to build a passive three-way for the Fusions because of their efficiency, but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to speaker and crossover design.

For posterity, here is a picture of my stalled Fusion 8 build:

https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitar

www.lowecustomguitars.com

Re: Fusion 8 Alchemy: three-way or powered sub?

Actually, I talked to Erich about this, but the new Magnum 12 woofer will work with the Alchemy Fusion-8 using the identical crossover I proposed for the Kairos three-way. I think that's an interesting option.....

Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
      Actually, I talked to Erich about this, but the new Magnum 12 woofer will work with the Alchemy Fusion-8 using the identical crossover I proposed for the Kairos three-way. I think that's an interesting option.....

Jeff B.
      Consider me sold.

I have been wanting to do a satellite/sub setup with the option of using pro audio "tophat" risers and poles in a live sound setting.

I think the Fusion 8s would look pretty spectacular with a matching sub underneath, almost like the new Fender Rumble bass amps:

Comment

Absolutely beautiful build, from concept to finished cabinets.

Comment

Dude those are awesome!!! Great work... I have the 6's and I love them.

Btw I love Oldsmar. It's a neat area of the bay....

Comment

Thanks!

The cabinets were built by an OEM I found through the guitar business.

Oldsmar is home, and I'm very fortunate to be here.

;)

I floated the idea past my Susan, and I'm not sure if she'll go for the bigger woofer boxes upstairs, but she's "all in" on using them downstairs.

Now, to deal with budgetary concerns...

Comment

Great build! What size are your cabinets? I see you moved the ports to the back, was that so you could shorten the cabinets a bit? I'd like to build a pair of these for my TV, but the standard cabinet dimensions are ~2" too tall to fit into my available space.

thanks,
              Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

Jeff B.
                Jeff,

Have you listened to this combo together? If so can you give a description of the sound. I am contemplating putting together a different system for my family room, which is a pretty large space since it is open to the dining room, kitchen, and the small dining area on the side of the kitchen. You have to now sit pretty close for movies which are about 90% of what we do there to be enjoyable, and I have to turn up the amp almost to max to really drive my OS MTM 5.2 system because it is like there is no volume. In smaller spaces it sounds fine, but in a 25X30 size rm with 10' ceilings the OS system seems insufficient.

Would you think a fusion/magnum system would fill this rather large void?

Kevin
                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                OS MTM's
                Digger 8 sub
                Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                Sprite Build
                Wolf's PC Speakers
                Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Also, what is good crossover point for the Fusion system to a Sub. What about fusion + Magnum 8 to a 18" sub for ultrasonics?

Comment

I really like those cabinets . Neat build. Have you went any further with this BeeTL (sub enclosure)?

Comment

Did you get a chance to build the fusion 8 as three ways?

Comment

Working...
                      X