X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Carmody
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Nov 2006

Whole buncha sub designs for the RSS210HF-4

I've been playing around with various enclosures for this driver. It's a bit of an odd driver, in that while it can go very low in a vented box, it doesn't necessarily go all that loud. In this case, the box is 30 Liters, tuned to 25 Hz. This gets us an F3 of 23 Hz; very nice! Problem is, those low notes will max out excursion at 100 dB (@ 70 watts)

So what can we do with this? Certainly, it's not going to work for large-scale home theater. However, this could definitely work for music lovers who want to make sure they hear the lowest octaves out of their recordings. Such people usually listen at more reasonable volumes (say, 85 dB), and the driver and amp should be very comfortable there. By many accounts, The RSS210 is a very high-quality sub, and it should provide a much higher fidelity than, say the Dayton SD215-88 (don't get me wrong, that's a great driver, too). It would also work for small home theaters. It may be a little big for computer users, but who am I to say?

I came up with three different design ideas.

The Pony - A speaker-stand-turned-sub. Driver can be front or side-mounted. It uses a slot vent for no particular reason; I just wanted to see if I could draw it. One could just as well use the vent from the Burro--or maybe the vent from the Turtle.

The Burro - A rectangular prism. Sits lower to the ground. Driver is side-mounted (magnet carefully placed to keep center of balance). Meant to be tucked next to furniture or an entertainment center. It uses 3" PVC, a lot of it.

The Turtle - A simple cube. For some reason, this is a popular shape for subs. I never understood why. It's pretty much impossible to use 3" PVC in this box, and a slot port would be too much extra work. So as a compromise, I think the 2" Precision Port kit should work. The port is downfiring because I was concerned about chuffing and because the flare is so large it won't fit on the back.

The cabinet walls won't need to be lined unless you cross really high (there is a pipe resonance at 250 Hz).

These are just concepts. I haven't built any of them yet--but I will. I am confident that they will work, though, and since this sub driver has come up lately, I thought I'd share some useful ideas. Click below for diagrams.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul Carmody; 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1
  • fastbike1
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Mar 2010

Re: Whole buncha sub designs for the RSS210HF-4

I'm not sure how you're getting an F3 of 23Hz. I've also been looking at an RSS210HF model in, surprisingly, 31 liters. Even tuned to 25 (my tuning at 27), I can't get F3 below 27Hz.

Everything else matches your comments. Excursion an issue below F10 (~22Hz). Models 102dB w 60W.

FWIW, the Aurasound 10 in 30 liters plays almost as low (f3 33) and noticably louder (105dB) for a bit less money. No excursion issues either.
    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

• Paul K.
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2005

Some of us actually listen at even lower SPLs, like 75-80 dB average, without missing out on any of the music!:p
      Paul

[QUOTE=Paul Carmody;1688635]
      However, this could definitely work for music lovers who want to make sure they hear the lowest octaves out of their recordings. Such people usually listen at more reasonable volumes (say, 85 dB), and the driver and amp should be very comfortable there.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Paul K.
        Some of us actually listen at even lower SPLs, like 75-80 dB average, without missing out on any of the music!:p
        Paul

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
        However, this could definitely work for music lovers who want to make sure they hear the lowest octaves out of their recordings. Such people usually listen at more reasonable volumes (say, 85 dB), and the driver and amp should be very comfortable there.
        You know Paul, that orchestral work I played in Iowa has quiet parts that are very tough to pick up unless I'm letting the amps put out in the range of 80W+ peaks.

I definitely find myself turning it up on such tracks, since the average levels are quite a bit lower than most rock/blues/jazz. And without adequate power, the crescendos seem to lose a bit of luster. ;)

I suppose that during the more "normal" passages, the ambient levels are somewhere around 85dB range.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• Paul Carmody
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by fastbike1
          I'm not sure how you're getting an F3 of 23Hz. I've also been looking at an RSS210HF model in, surprisingly, 31 liters. Even tuned to 25 (my tuning at 27), I can't get F3 below 27Hz.
          If you use PE's specs, you are correct. I used Zaph's measurements. Not sure who is more correct; guess I could measure my pair. :o

FWIW, the Aurasound 10 in 30 liters plays almost as low (f3 33) and noticably louder (105dB) for a bit less money. No excursion issues either.
          Well, that is twice as loud, I'll give you that. But in my opinion, 33 Hz is in the range of "low bass," where once you get down below mid 20 Hz I'd consider that "sub bass." Not everyone needs sub bass, especially people who mostly listen to music recorded before 1990. On the other hand, for other people, once you hear sub bass, it's hard to go back.

Comment

• Paul K.
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2005

Just to clarify, my average level of 75-80 dB SPL is at my listening position, not a 1 meter distance. What you say is true; orchestral music typically has a much larger dynamic range than most any other kind of music and sometimes, if you set the volume to not overdo it when the orchestra is playing fff, you may not be able to hear the ppp movements very well.
            Paul

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
            You know Paul, that orchestral work I played in Iowa has quiet parts that are very tough to pick up unless I'm letting the amps put out in the range of 80W+ peaks.

I definitely find myself turning it up on such tracks, since the average levels are quite a bit lower than most rock/blues/jazz. And without adequate power, the crescendos seem to lose a bit of luster. ;)

I suppose that during the more "normal" passages, the ambient levels are somewhere around 85dB range.

Comment

• lamski
              Been Around Awhile
              • Jul 2010

Paul, thank you for posting these. Just what I was looking for. Should be a nice compliment to the rs microbes I'm building.

Comment

• fastbike1
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Mar 2010

No need for :o. I'd go w/ Zaph's measurements. I'd also agree that <mid 20's isn't music either. That's what you were saying right :D :p.

Not arguing, just trying to check my modeling.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
                If you use PE's specs, you are correct. I used Zaph's measurements. Not sure who is more correct; guess I could measure my pair. :o

Well, that is twice as loud, I'll give you that. But in my opinion, 33 Hz is in the range of "low bass," where once you get down below mid 20 Hz I'd consider that "sub bass." Not everyone needs sub bass, especially people who mostly listen to music recorded before 1990. On the other hand, for other people, once you hear sub bass, it's hard to go back.
                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

• Wolf
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

^^^Those are my measured specs above. In 28.3 ltrs, I get an F3/10 of 26/19 with a 30 Hz Fb, with a 2.5" diameter x 10.5" long port.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• B_Rich
                    Midrange Member
                    • Sep 2010

Hmm, I may potentially be the guinea pig on the Pony design. I'm building the Overnight Sensations (as you know, Paul) and I'm using the RSS210HF as a sub. It'll be going underneath my desk, mainly being used for my computer (but I don't want to build it around my computer, I want it to be an "all purpose" design as much as possible).

Right now I'm torn between 3 designs.

Mine: 1.8 cubic feet tuned to 22hz, which may not be ideal as the size of the box is pretty big, and Wolf tells me that xmax will be reached really quickly down in the mid 20's. But, this obviously gives me the best frequency response, which I like to see. I know simulations aren't everything, but they give me an idea.

Wolf's: which is 1 cubic foot with a 2.5 ID port, 12.5in long, which yields a tuning frequency of 30hz. He used these parameters in the Attitudes build. I plug in these parameters, and the graph looks decent (to my uneducated mind) and could be better (to my uneducated mind).

Yours: the Pony design. This really appeals to me, as the dimensions are more than perfect. Any chance you had anymore information on it? Net size, port tuning, F3, etc. Unless, what you said for your original numbers at the beginning of the post were for all 3 designs.

I'm really looking to "loose nothing" with this sub build. I'd like it to dig as low as possible while being as flat as possible.

Thanks for posting up the designs, Paul.
                    -Brian

Comment

• Wolf
                      Obsessed & Proud of It
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by B_Rich
                      Wolf's: which is 1 cubic foot with a 2.5 ID port, 12.5in long, which yields a tuning frequency of 30hz. He used these parameters in the Attitudes build. I plug in these parameters, and the graph looks decent (to my uneducated mind) and could be better (to my uneducated mind).
                      (on a break from work...)
                      You mean 10.5" long...
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• B_Rich
                        Midrange Member
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Wolf
                        (on a break from work...)
                        You mean 10.5" long...
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        Right. :D

Edit: and I'll be using the Parts Express 240w sub amp to power it. I know it may be a little much for it, but it's what I have right now and I don't see the need to upgrade/change anything since I already have it.
                        -Brian

Comment

• MrkCrwly
                          • Oct 2009

The multi size box alternative for a design is a great idea. There has to be space for one of them in any living area without alienating the signif. other.
                          Well done.
                          It is amazing that a sub that we call small, would be considered large by the "unwashed" masses. A whole lot of HT systems come in 1 box.
                          Mark
                          My TriTrix Build
                          My Core 2 Way Build
                          My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Comment

• benchtester
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by MrkCrwly
                            ...It is amazing that a sub that we call small, would be considered large by the "unwashed" masses. A whole lot of HT systems come in 1 box.
                            OT- tell me about it: I gave 7.5"x8.5"x13.5" speakers to a friend in a one bedroom apt. as her primary speakers. After 3 years she returned them because she was remodeling and they were "just too big". (But now they're my office speakers, so there!)

On T - I will be using the RSS210 as my woofer in a three way system but I am in a fourth-floor condo (so I am concerned about neighbor complaints). What's everyone's opinions: go with these vented alignments? go with a sealed version which may be less offense to neighbors? Is there a rule of thumb about what frequencies transmitted through floors?

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by B_Rich
                              Right now I'm torn between 3 designs.

Mine: 1.8 cubic feet tuned to 22hz, which may not be ideal as the size of the box is pretty big, and Wolf tells me that xmax will be reached really quickly down in the mid 20's. But, this obviously gives me the best frequency response, which I like to see. I know simulations aren't everything, but they give me an idea.

Yours: the Pony design. This really appeals to me, as the dimensions are more than perfect. Any chance you had anymore information on it? Net size, port tuning, F3, etc. Unless, what you said for your original numbers at the beginning of the post were for all 3 designs.

I'm really looking to "loose nothing" with this sub build. I'd like it to dig as low as possible while being as flat as possible.
                              Good question. Actually, Wolf's design and mine are pretty close. I think he was going for exactly 1 cu ft (~28.3 Liters), where I rounded up to 30 Liters
                              Wolf's tuning is slightly higher than mine, but that is a matter of personal taste, and can often be easily changed by shortening or lengthening the port.

Yes, all 3 of my designs here are 30 Liters, and all are tuned to 25 Hz.

Honestly, I think yours is awfully big. I understand wanting the lowest F3 possible, but is it worth it to increase the box size by 50-100% just to eke an extra 3 Hz? Besides, you're at a computer; I'd think space is at a premium.

If you do the Pony, realize that you don't have to do the folded slot port, unless you're feeling adventurous. 3" PVC would be much easier (and like I said, the 2" Precision Port should work; in theory, anyway)

Comment

Working...